Job Title: Wintel Engineer - Platform Solution Engineer
Location: MoD Corsham
Working Model: on-site with flexibility (frequency on-site TBC)
Duration: initial contract till end March 2024 with further extensions applicable
Daily Rate Available: £500 - £700 (dependant on experience)
**Contractor needs to be Active SC Clear
- The WINTEL Engineering Service will support the technical team installing, configuring and updating Windows servers and software components of the NSoIT(D) solution and development environment. The target environments are heavily virtualised. This work will also entail working with other teams to troubleshoot and diagnose technical issues. The detailed responsibilities of the team include:
- Installation, configuration, maintenance, administration, and support of Windows servers and related infrastructure, including in a virtualised environment.
- Installation and configuration of Microsoft enterprise products including but not limited to, Active Directory, Group Policy, SQL, Exchange, Skype, WSUS, PKI and MS Office elements.
- Production and review of all levels of design artefacts.
- Supporting wider NSoIT(D) system testing activities.
- Working with Service Management to resolve issues.
Essential skills, qualifications, and experience
- In order to deliver this service, it is essential that individuals have:
- Significant experience in the installation, configuration, maintenance, administration, and support of Windows server operating systems, especially Windows Server 2012R2 and 2016, 2019, including in a virtualised environment.
- Several years' experience in the:
- Design, configuration, and administration of Active Directory, preferably in a secure environment to hardening baselines
- Design, implementation, and administration in some of the following areas: PKI, DNS, DHCP, Exchange, SharePoint, Skype for Business (including unified comms from other vendors), WSUS, SolarWinds, ELK, SQL, Trend (or similar AV products), proxying and Veeam.
- Experience in:
- Administering and monitoring a virtual server infrastructure.
- Configuring and administering backup and restore of Windows systems.
- Patching Windows systems.
- Configuring peripheral devices.
- MS Windows client configuration and support including Windows 7 and Windows 10.
- Delivering against high pressure timelines and in complex organisations.
- Writing and analysing technical requirements.
- Conducting product selections against complex requirements, specifically measuring performance, cost, and time.
- Working as part of a large technical team.
- Working with PowerShell.
- Microsoft MCSE Qualification or similar
- A firm grasp of service management tooling and ITIL.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills to solve problems and propose new ideas.
- Broad experience across the Wintel estate.
- Hold a valid Security Clearance (SC)
- Competency in MS Office Suite.
Desirable skills, qualifications, and experience
- In order to deliver this service, it is desirable that individuals have:
- Experience of:
- Configuration of networks with knowledge of Cisco routers and switches.
- Working within the public sector, preferably Defence, and ideally with Defence Digital (formerly ISS).
- Delivering accredited secure solutions within the UK Public Sector.
- VMWare setup and configuration
- Microsoft SharePoint configuration and administration
- SCCM (MECM) administration
- Delivering in Agile (SAFE4) and Waterfall projects
- Knowledge of:
- The Atlassian toolset (JIRA and Confluence) to record and document work.
- Cisco Network Administration experience or certification (CCNA or CCNP)
- ITIL certification