Senior Software Engineer
Telford - WFH currently
Initial duration 6 months
Must be SC eligible or SC cleared
A software engineering background with proven ability to rapidly learn and apply application development process, tools and programming/scripting languages. Awareness of key SE engineering concepts and governance (design, development, config management and version control, quality control, continuous integration, release/deployment, documentation, built in supportability, built in maintainability, re-use and extensibility)
Specific experience of data solutions development addressing data extraction, transformation and load (ETL) processing and data analytics and reporting requirements.
Familiar with Agile software development principles and practices and experience of delivery as a member of an Agile Scrum team utilising Scrum methodology.
Role and task responsibilities -
- Software development activity across the full range of development lifecycle; requirements gathering, analysis, design, coding/development, testing, implementation and live support.
- This may be within new systems development projects or enhancements and fixes to existing applications.
- Carrying out development in accordance with the agreed requirements and development standards
- Testing of products in accordance with the test strategy to ensure that they are fit for purpose
- Assisting the team in examining packages of work and giving realistic timescales for completion
- Completion of work allocated within agreed time, cost and quality criteria and providing progress reports on assigned work as required
- Management and control of problems and change within their area of responsibility, including negotiation with other team members
- Problem analysis, investigation and resolution
- Playing an active part in Process improvement, awareness of and compliance with all relevant quality processes and procedures, including completion of all the specified quality records
- UNIX, LINUX / Shell Scripting
- SQL, PL/SQL
- CM Tooling, PVCS/Git
- Batch Scheduling Experience (e.g. TWS Maestro or similar)
- AWS Cloud
- Jenkins Ansible
- SQL, PL/SQL Performance Tuning
- Agile Methodology Experience
- Failure troubleshooting
- Stakeholder Engagement
Nice to have
- Database Design
- Data Modelling
- Splunk / ELK
- Other programming languages (PL/SQL, Java, etc.)
- Occasional On-call / Overtime
- Peer code reviews
If this role is of interest to you, please submit your CV in the first instance.