Senior Mechaincal Engineer (Spatial)
Business Unit: Submarine Support Engineering
Please note this role can be based at either Plymouth, Bristol or Leicester
About the role
Here at Babcock International we're looking to recruit a Senior Spatial Engineer.
You'll join us within the Dreadnought Programme. As a Senior Engineer you'll work within the Engineering Services Directorate, a centre of excellence for our professional engineering capability, supporting naval programmes while proactively improving our capabilities.
As part of the role you could be involved in one of the two main areas of influence:
1. In service; providing engineering support and thought to Trafalgar, Astute and Vanguard Class submarines whilst at sea and alongside to enable an optimised maintenance package and through life cost.
2. Build; providing engineering support and thought to the Dreadnought Class submarines through the design and down selection process, to provide support to our customer and define the preferred support solution.
What do I need to do the role?
You'll need to be qualified to minimum of HND in a STEM discipline (e.g. Mechanical, Electrical, System, Data or Maths). Experience in lieu of formal education would be considered.
Would also like you to hold experience in the following:
- Use / understanding of 3D modelling ideally FORAN
- Good understanding of engineering practices and having had a high exposure to technical documentation, Def Stan, BRs, JSPs, etc.
- Understanding of the basic elements of ILS to be able to comprehend how the BAES design will impact the platform through life supportability, and ultimately availability for CASD
- Be able to communicate clearly using multiple methods to both internal & external stakeholders, i.e. Skype, Teams, Presentations and written reports.
Lastly, you'll need to be adaptable to issues associated with spatial elements with a driven attitude to solution finding.
What else do I need to know?
- The successful candidate will need to satisfy Ministry of Defence security requirements. This may require you to hold or be eligible/capable of achieving 'Security Check' (SC) clearance.
- We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
We're committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. The benefits you can expect to enjoy include a generous holiday entitlement, competitive money purchase pension scheme with life assurance and a share ownership scheme. You'll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please visit our website.