Senior Mechanical Designer (Nuclear)
Pay rate: £30 - £38 - LTD £22.87 - £28.84 - PAYE
12 month contract
Start Date: 31/05/2021
The Senior Designer provides support and technical guidance for a team of multi-disciplined
designers. The role will assure the quality of output to the required standards consistent with
whole lifecycle from concept to in service support.
The role requires a good understanding of engineering and design practices as relevant to the
individuals discipline and the holder must be able to demonstrate appropriate CAD skills as well as
good written and verbal communications. Requires specialist knowledge and substantial
experience in a design subject area.
The role takes Designs and develops solutions, resolves design issues and problems for a range of
specialist design situations. Provides specialist technical advice and guidance to other designers,
provides design governance for technical standards for a team. Works with high degree of
technical autonomy and typically incorporated Engineer status.
The role must be fully aware of and adhere to Health & Safety standards and be fully familiar with
all authorised documentation, Good Practice Guides and ISO standards.
Allocate discipline tasks to allocated team of Designers, check team drawing outputs, and
ensure inter discipline coordination in accordance with company and regulatory standards
2. Promote effective co-operation across Design and other functional teams
3. Assist in effective management of the customer, including liaison and relationship
development with existing and new customers, to aid the development of business,
resolution of technical and delivery issues, and such that the customer is fully briefed and
informed of progress
4. Advise and assist in selecting the correct methods and tools for tasks and provide
technical assistance to allocated team of Designers
5. Contribute to the preparation/production of drawings in support of basic, detail and
production design in line with recognised ISO standards and to the required; time, cost
and quality requirements.
6. Provide point of contact with professional engineering colleagues and various
stakeholders for discipline related issues during design lifecycle, contribute to design
reviews and ensure coordination and functionality of design.
7. Assist in the resolution of Production & Technical Queries & development of discipline
solutions for the team in relation to manufacturing & installation issues.
8. Contribute to learning from experience (LfE). requirement, during and post project
9. Develop innovative design solutions and fulfil Design Lead responsibilities as assigned for
multi discipline low risk projects.10. Maintain individual knowledge of current best practice in application of designer expertise across the design lifecycle, including customs and standards. Promote a culture of best practice in design expertise and provide leadership and assist in driving cultural development and change
11. Maintain awareness of developments within the industry, particularly for techniques &
tools, physical integration, bill of material controls & management of design maturity
12. Exercise care for own health and safety and that of others as defined by Health and Safety
legislation, adhere to endorsed Company policy, procedures and delegations (e.g. Health
& Safety, Diversity & Inclusion, Performance & Development Reviews and Finance etc.)
Ensure application of highest standards for health and safety in immediate area of
responsibility and ensure individual co-operation with respect to company standards
about matters on health, safety and environment, ethics and behaviours
13. Support the business winning process through input into or review of tender
requirements, including estimates
14. Support business development opportunities in raising the Client profile via
presentations, academic links, conferences & technical papers, and identify opportunities
and new work streams
**Must have experience Pipenet Modelling**
Must have HVAC experience
HNC/HND minimum in a relevant discipline OR equivalent academic qualification
Experience in a detailed design environment
Good knowledge of CAD tools
Knowledge of General Engineering Drawing Practice
Incorporated Engineer status
ICF (Integrated Competency Framework) to be demonstrated or being worked towards.
Demonstrable experience in technical leading of a multi-disciplined design team
communications skills and the ability to interface with other disciplines
Member of relevant Professional Institute
Breadth and depth of experience in a range of commercial or defence projects