We're part of Europe's leading entertainment company with over 23 million customers across seven countries; we make life easier by entertaining and connecting people. It's a genuine team effort. That's why we want talented people, like you, to join us and help make the future happen.
This is an exciting opportunity for you to join us and work within our Sky Q TV apps development team.
Sky Q is our flagship platform with millions of users across the UK, Ireland, Italy and Germany. As one of our team members you would be working with teams involved across a variety of Sky Q apps including 'Sky Sports', 'Sky News', 'Weather' and 'Services' (such as billing via TV). We also have apps which facilitate on-screen purchases via your remote, a 'Help' app designed to assist users with any issues they face, and we have teams across other new innovations in our pipeline.
Our team also get together to work on our own in-house ideas which can give birth to side-projects, team talks or fun knowledge sharing sessions.
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Developing high quality, testable and performant applications to run on the Sky Q set-top box using our in-house libraries and frameworks.
- Contributing to the technical direction of the team.
- Working closely with design and product teams to create intuitive and innovative user experiences.
- Help the team choose the best solutions and technologies for the task in hand.
- Participating in the full software life-cycle, including support and continuous integration.
- Assisting analysts and business stakeholders in shaping, estimating and planning new requirements.
- Participating in regular showcases of new work to product owners and business stakeholders.
- Striving for continuous improvement within the team.
- Take a pro-active role with production issues and release management.
- Championing best practices in order to develop clean, resilient code.
- Mentor junior members of the team.
Requirements / Skills:
- Knowledge and experience using Git, Node.js, npm.
- Experience with testing frameworks, both from a unit and automation perspective.
- Well versed in software engineering principles, frameworks and technologies.
- Discuss technical considerations with product owners and designers.
- High attention to detail, being "pixel perfect" in translating wireframes and designs into working interactive experiences.
- Object-orientated programming in ES6 and/or TypeScript.
- Experience developing for platforms where code optimisation is essential, e.g. TVs, mobile phones or embedded devices.
- Building custom UI component systems and/or in-house tooling.
- Experience using MVC design pattern
- Lightning, React, Angular, Vue, Redux, RxJS, WebGL, OpenGL, Pixi.js
- Jira, Confluence, Grunt, GitLab, Photoshop, HTML5 Canvas and/or Three.js.
- Graphics-intensive (e.g. games) applications.
- TDD approach to writing software (Cucumber, Jasmin, Jest, Cypress).
- Continuous Integration (Jenkins/Gitlab).
- Knowledge and experience using Sky TV products.
We're happy to talk flexible working.
It's our people that make us Europe's leading entertainment company. That's why we work hard to be an inclusive employer, so everyone at Sky can be their best.
If you are successful in your application for this role, your appointment will be subject to receiving a positive outcome from your Criminal Record Check.