Platform Solution Engineer
Our client are experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. They draw on extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world's most challenging problems. Their teams make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don't you join some of the world's finest scientific and technical minds and help make tomorrow work today?
As the organisation continues to grow into new markets around the world, there's never been a more exciting time to join. Their formula for success is an appetite for innovation, courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges and motivated people who work to deliver the best possible solutions to partners. Joining this market-leading company offers an opportunity to work on highly technical cutting edge projects, enabling customers to protect, improve and advance their vital interests.
Our client are working with the MOD on a complex long term project to deliver cutting edge information and communications technology (ICT) to enhance deployed operational command and control. It will be used by the Royal Navy, Army and the Royal Air Force to support Sovereign and coalition operations at home and overseas. The aim of the programme is to replace a number of legacy Communication and Information systems and will provide universal access and similar user experience across all security domains in all physical locations.
The Platform Solution Engineering Service is responsible for the design and development of the core elements of the Programme's Platform. The primary focus of this service is to undertake and coordinate all development tasks related to the design of the core platform as agreed by the Engineering Management Team via the Programme Increment planning process.
The Platform Solution Engineering service's responsibilities include:
- Interacting with all design and development team leads to ensure cross team, cross technology coherence to satisfy the requirements of the main system and act as initial point of contact for all team members within the Core Platform Engineering community.
- Supporting Engineering and SDA Stakeholder engagement.
- Ensuring that standards, frameworks, and security postures align with overall business and technology strategies and policies e.g. Defence as a Platform, Federated Mission Networking, DefStans and JSPs.
- Identifying and communicating all proposed solutions across design teams and review all high, and intermediate designs from all teams.
- Defining, managing, and reviewing the production of all core platform low-level and detailed level designs assuring coherence, technical content, and quality.
- Supporting the design of infrastructure and software architecture elements to enable the system to function within the context of a UK deployed environment.
- Supporting the build of system test, reference, and development environments to prove services and to demonstrate successful satisfaction of the requirements.
- Liaising with other solution engineers and team leads to ensure a robust solution is delivered within time, cost and performance.
- Influencing the automation of design artefacts and indicate how they can be delivered by the orchestration technology.
- Identifying capability gaps in existing architectures and recommend changes or enhancements in line with Agile and continuous improvement methods.
Skills & Experience
- Delivering against high pressure time-lines and in complex organisations.
- Solution design of secure hardware and software solutions, demonstrating successful delivery on complex, large scale programmes utilising emerging technologies where possible.
- Writing technical requirements and producing detailed solution designs.
- Conducting rational product selections against complex requirements, specifically measuring performance, cost and time.
- Experience working within a secure environment such as MoD or Government
- VMware's Software Defined Networking Product - NSX, to deliver secure multi-tenancy solutions.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012 R2, 2016 and 2019 core operating systems
- Additional Microsoft based technologies such as Exchange, Skype, SQL and Group Policy.
- Microsoft Windows 10, various Linux implementations from thick client to zero client VDI solutions.