Location: Cheltenham, Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Salary: Competitive plus £5k DV bonus
Job Title: Platform Engineer
Locations: Cheltenham, Ipswich, London
Due to the sensitive nature of this role you will be required to have DV (Developed Vetting) level Security Clearance (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/united-kingdom-security-vetting-clearance-levels/national-security-vetting-clearance-levels). An allowance of £5k per annum will be payable monthly while you hold this DV and continue to work in a role that requires that level of security clearance. The terms of this allowance will be made available if you are successful in being recruited into this role.
Security isn't always the first thing that comes to mind when you think of BT, but when it comes to keeping everyone safely connected, We Are the Protectors. We deal with thousands of cyber-attacks every day, so that millions of people can safely go about their daily lives and run their businesses. We deliver vital work at scale, with real breadth and impact. We connect for good.
You'll be joining a specialist security team that is a trusted partner to governments worldwide, protecting critical national infrastructure and committed to the safety and security of our nation and global communities. Our mission focused work is innovative, inspiring, and technologically challenging in a way that makes every day different and stimulating. We provide the opportunity to work on rare projects, with exciting tools and brilliant people. Everyone has access to unparalleled professional and personal development opportunities and your contribution is always valued.
Why this job matters:
As a Platform Engineer, you'll use your technical expertise to design, develop, test, and support the infrastructure and platforms that form the foundations of our vital services.
You'll work on interesting and challenging real-world customer problems and deliver solutions in an agile manner to time/cost/quality. In doing so, you'll have the opportunity to learn about a wide range of technologies, hardware, and DevOps practices.
Join a multi-disciplined DevOps team of 15 people, with plenty of experience to learn from. Some are experts in a particular craft; others prefer to broaden their skill sets. However, there is always flexibility and encouragement to work on the tech you're interested in. You do your best work when you're passionate about it, and the team is working with nearly 100 different kinds of technology.
You'll be working fully end-to-end on projects with real world impact. You'll be able to turn on the news and see that impact. And you'll have the trust of the customer to guide them to best possible outcome, rather than having your actions dictated to. That means a strong, long-standing relationship of collaboration with a customer and its users relying on your expertise & insight.
What you'll do:
- Be hands on in the delivery of new platforms. This could include specification of the system; high and low level designs; evaluating new technologies against requirements; developing proof of concepts; refreshing / uplifting legacy technology; patching vulnerabilities, and more
- Work with a range of platforms including on-prem, cloud or hybrid models.
- Engage with the customer, suppliers, professional networks and subject matter experts.
- Actively contribute to team knowledge sharing, performing mentoring and coaching for those around you.
- Ensure security requirements are met.
What you'll bring:
- Have a range of skills in scripting and the Python programming language.
- Demonstrate good problem-solving ability able to work through any issues in a logical manner, documenting solutions as required.
- Have good technical knowledge of the Linux Operating System.
- Understand common Infrastructure-as-code tools/patterns and Configuration Management (e.g. Puppet, Ansible, Terraform or similar).
- Understand network architecture: routing, switching, firewalls & VLANs.
- Have good knowledge of building and deploying bare-metal and virtual systems using automated processes (e.g. Anaconda Kickstart, RedHat Satellite/Foreman).
- Have a good understanding of system monitoring, metrics, logging, and audit technologies.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Diversity makes sense for us, for our customers and for our future. We value different perspectives, skills, and experiences, and encourage applications from all sections of the community. Our ambition focuses on recruiting and retaining people who are under-represented in our workforce. Including those from ethnic minority groups, disabled and neurodiverse people and women. However, diversity does not end there and anyone with different backgrounds, gender identities, sexual orientations, ethnicities, ages or stages of life, disabilities and those from low socio-economic backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply. Find out more about BT's D&I manifesto by searching on our website.
What's in it for you:
- Discounted BT Broadband, TV & mobile packages and BT products
- On target Bonus
- 10% pension contribution
- Professional development and paid for industry certifications/qualifications.
- Flexible benefits/rewards including dental insurance, healthcare, gym memberships etc.
- Well-being support for you and your family
- 3 days paid volunteering a year.
- Flexible and smart working (subject to business needs)
Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification and criteria. So, if you're excited about this role but your past-experience doesn't align perfectly with every requirement, don't worry - we'd still love you to apply!