Role Title: Medical Underwriter
Duration: 3 months with intention to convert to permanent employment
Rate: £255/£325 per day - PAYE/Umbrella
Who we are
Our client is a leading global insurance organization. Building on 100 years of experience, today their company provide a wide range of property casualty insurance, life insurance, retirement solutions, and other financial services to customers in more than 80 countries and jurisdictions. These diverse offerings include products and services that help businesses and individuals protect their assets, manage risks and provide for retirement security.
Get to know the business
Life and Retirement is a unique franchise that brings together a broad portfolio of life insurance, retirement and institutional products offered through an extensive, multichannel distribution network. It holds longstanding, leading market positions in many of the markets it serves in the U.S.
About the role
What you need to know:
Are you a Medical underwriter with an appetite for providing excellent customer service whilst balancing risk and resolution of cases? If so, look no further for your next career challenge!
We're looking for Medical Underwriters to join our medical Underwriting department within Customer Services. We are looking for someone with at least 3 years experience of Life underwriting and a current working underwriting authority of a minimum of £600,000 Life, £300,000 Critical Illness and a working knowledge of disability benefits including Income Protection.
You will become part of a team of Medical Underwriters who work closely together with other Customer Service colleagues to make sure the needs of the business, customers and distributors are all met.
What we expect from you:
- You will have a proven working knowledge of Income Protection, Life, Critical Illness and disability products
- You will provide fair and balanced underwriting decisions using the appropriate amount of evidence necessary
- You will assess all applications that aren't accepted by our online underwriting engine - initial applications, additional information, amendments - and you will assess all medical evidence upon receipt from third party sources.
- You will do so in a timely manner within agreed Service Level Agreements and always with the customer and our reputation in mind.
- You will also provide a telephone service for pre-sale enquiries, being the first point of contact for our advisers when they are looking to place business with us, providing accurate indications of underwriting decisions and working with Sales to ensure advisers consider us their number one provider.
- You will have general knowledge of insurance industry codes and current practices
- You will liaise with Customer Services, Sales and our reinsurance partners when required, representing the Medical Underwriting department in a positive and collaborative way
- You will develop a good understanding of the business and contribute to 'best practice' overall for our customers and colleagues
- You will be innovative, forward thinking and able to identify opportunities for improvements in our philosophy, processes and procedures.
- You will be able to demonstrate good lateral thinking and proactive problem-solving skills, have sound decision making skills and the ability to recognize risk events, manage and escalate these where appropriate.
- You will display role model behaviours in line with company values, have good organizational and time management skills and be reliable and flexible.
What we're looking for:
Method of Assessment
Minimum GCSE's or equivalent
Degree or equivalent CII qualification
Application form, certification check
At least 3 years underwriting experience with appropriate authority levels
Application form, interview, references
Knowledge & Skills
Good computer literacy, sound numerical and verbal literacy skills. Knowledge of protection legislation
Application form, interview, tests
Good motivator and communication (primarily oral). Confident, resilient, organized, approachable and dependable
Application form, interview
Motivation & Expectation
Desire to deliver excellent customer service. High expectations of self and others
Application form, interview