Our Government client are recruiting for a Head of Site Reliability Engineering.
As Head of Site Reliability Engineering you will work, with the support of your community manager, to ensure that our SREs are well supported and meet our business requirements. You will also be a thought leader, information coach, career advisor and champion for professional in your community, and specifically you will:
- Work to define, build and develop a cohesive, engaged and high performing professional community, being the champion to advocate and influence at a strategic level across the client, and provide confidence of delivery to leadership and beyond. This will include management of community-owned assets (e.g. role descriptions and recruitment approaches, technical frameworks)
- Collaboratively with directorate technical leadership to build and own our recruitment and attraction strategy for SRE (working with directorates and People and Business Service). You will also nurture emerging talent, working with our talent team, to support the development of talent, capability and collective expertise of the SRE profession. You will work with the organisation to place the right people in the right posts at the right time, balancing the needs of the organisation with the development needs of the individual
- Work closely with the technical leadership and Capability & Talent Team to build a career pathway for the software engineering profession in the client including succession planning, internal development opportunities and support the development of the DDaT reward proposition.
- Develop a strategy for the profession's work based on the needs of the client, creating shared standards, processes and best practice in approaches or methods for use. This will helping to standardise and manage the right tools for the job - including languages, frameworks, integration, CI/CD, hosting, and monitoring (documented in The cleint specific Way)
- Actively participate in outreach, helping to promote and share teh client's excellence in service delivery, for instance through blog posts, tech talks and proactive external and cross-government engagement. You will also use this and your own interest to monitor the technology landscape to look at appropriate technologies to adopt and incorporate into the client's products, platforms and services
We're interested in people who understand what an SRE does (operate and troubleshoot in a complex high availability environment), and has a good grounding in representative tools (for example Ruby, Python, Java, Terraform, Postgres, Linux, Docker, AWS Fargate) and who has:
- A good understanding of modern agile, user-centric and product focussed technology delivery and how SRE fits into teams
- Proven leadership experience in a SRE or similar role, demonstrated through previous experience, and can provide coaching and guidance to colleagues at all levels - contributing to the formation of communities of practice
- The ability to set sourcing/recruiting strategy and manage resource allocation for SRE across a portfolio of programmes
- Evidences an ability to collaborate to analyse problems and define the right way forward, codifying these in procedures, standards and processes where appropriate
- Are self-motivated and able to manage multiple priorities at the same time, whilst being able to look at the detail where necessary to guide others and provide advice around appropriate methods and tools