Infrastructure Solutions Engineer
Our client are experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. They draw on extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world's most challenging problems. Their teams make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don't you join some of the world's finest scientific and technical minds and help make tomorrow work today?
As the organisation continues to grow into new markets around the world, there's never been a more exciting time to join. Their formula for success is an appetite for innovation, courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges and motivated people who work to deliver the best possible solutions to partners. Joining this market-leading company offers an opportunity to work on highly technical cutting edge projects, enabling customers to protect, improve and advance their vital interests.
Our client are working with the MOD on a complex long term project to deliver cutting edge information and communications technology (ICT) to enhance deployed operational command and control. It will be used by the Royal Navy, Army and the Royal Air Force to support Sovereign and coalition operations at home and overseas. The aim of the programme is to replace a number of legacy Communication and Information systems and will provide universal access and similar user experience across all security domains in all physical locations.
The Infrastructure Solution Engineering Service is responsible for the design and development of the core elements of the Platform. The primary focus of this service is to undertake and coordinate all development tasks related to the design of the core platform as agreed by the Engineering Management Team via the Programme Increment planning process.
The Infrastructure Solution Engineering service's responsibilities include:
- Interacting with all design and development team leads to ensure cross team, cross technology coherence to satisfy the requirements of the system and act as initial point of contact for all team members within the Core Infrastructure Engineering community.
- Ensuring that standards, frameworks, and security postures align with overall business and technology strategies and policies e.g. Defence as a Platform, Federated Mission Networking, DefStans and JSPs.
- Defining, managing, and reviewing the production of all core infrastructure low-level and detailed level designs assuring coherence, technical content, and quality.
- Supporting the design of platform and software architecture elements to enable the system to function within the context of a UK deployed environment.
- Supporting the build of system test, reference, and development environments to prove services and to demonstrate successful satisfaction of the requirements.
- Liaising with other solution engineers and team leads to ensure a robust solution is delivered within time, cost and performance.
- Influencing the automation of design artefacts and indicate how they can be delivered by the orchestration technology.
- Identifying capability gaps in existing architectures and recommend changes or enhancements in line with Agile and continuous improvement methods.
Skills & Experience
- Significant demonstrable experience in:
- Solution design of secure hardware and software solutions, demonstrating successful delivery on complex, large scale programmes utilising emerging technologies where possible.
- Delivering against high pressure timelines and in complex organisations.
- Conducting rational product selections against complex requirements, specifically measuring performance, cost and time.
- Successfully running a large development team, ensuring delivery timescales are met.
- In-depth experience of:
- VMWare Technologies
- Supporting infrastructure services such as DNS/DHCP/NTP
- Hardware vendor components such HPE DL range of servers and HPE MSA storage arrays
- HPE UPS and their management systems
- Role Based Access Systems
- Experience of working within a secure environment such as MoD or Government.
- Exceptional communication skills with diverse and adverse audiences.
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Ability to identify risks associated with business processes, operations, information security programmes and technology projects.