INFORMATION GOVERNANCE MANAGER
Reporting to the Data Protection Officer, you will provide leadership in relation to information governance. Working with colleagues from across the organisation and external stakeholders to provide prompt and accurate information governance advice.
- Be a subject matter expert and advisor for all matters relating to information governance.
- Participate in the work of a small but specialist team focusing on information governance.
- Work with internal customers to establish their requirements, review information governance issues and provide guidance.
- Ensure all data exchanges comply with information governance best practice.
- Support the ongoing provision of a data protection impact assessment framework.
- Work with colleagues to instruct external counsel in respect of information rights issues.
- Keep up to date with developments in information governance best practice and information rights.
- Work with the information security team to maintain our corporate information security policy and ensure compliance with the international information security standard, ISO 27001.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement and development of information governance policies and procedures, including the provision of advice and guidance to Directors, Assistant, Directors and other colleagues.
- Support the work of the procurement team, assisting in the review of contracts in respect of information governance issues.
- Support the Data Protection Officer in the performance of his role.
- To provide effective and inclusive management and leadership to a team supporting their personal development and helping to develop their skills and knowledge in line with the Directorate's work and values.
- Creating an environment that nurtures and empowers staff to work autonomously and make decisions, including trying out new approaches, and can fulfil their full potential.
- Creating an inclusive environment, ensuring equality and diversity is considered in policy and practices relevant to the role.
- Applying the relevant management systems, procedures and policies relating to staff management, staff wellbeing, risk management, health and safety, information security and business continuity.
- Any other reasonable duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Technical knowledge and skills
- Essential: a strong and up to date knowledge of personal privacy and information access legislation including the General Data Protection Regulation, the Data Protection Act 2018 and the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
- Essential: extensive experience of information governance in a legal, regulatory or healthcare environment.
- Significant experience of establishing requirements for data sharing and data acquisition.
- Experience of commissioning or drafting instructions for Counsel.
- Proven experience of working with senior managers and key stakeholders.
- The ability to always maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to valuing diversity in the workplace.
- The ability to draft high calibre presentations, reports and papers is essential. The post holder will be expected to maintain high standards of accuracy, with unwavering attention to detail, especially when working under pressure.
- The ability to communicate complex issues in easily understood documents and in person. The ability to present information clearly, succinctly, and accurately is essential.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are needed as the role involves considerable interaction with people at all levels both in and outside of the company.
- The post holder will require excellent influencing skills and should have the self-confidence to immediately establish credibility. The ability to present complex information clearly, succinctly and accurately is essential.
- The post holder must develop and maintain excellent working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- To demonstrate excellent customer service ensuring the needs of internal and external customers are met and our services and contact with customers are delivered positively in line with the standards and expectations of the companies' values.
- The post holder must have excellent organisational skills, managing conflicting priorities while delivering high quality and accurate work, often to tight deadlines. o Project management skills are essential. The post holder will be required to achieve a high level of output to meet the challenging work agenda. The post holder will support a range of projects across the organisation, including working with IT colleagues, researchers and data analysts.
Innovation and problem-solving skills
- The ability to identify solutions and make recommendations to improve processes and procedures and lead to their implementation in partnership with colleagues.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to assimilate and interpret complex information to ensure issues are resolved quickly.
- The post holder must be able to quickly develop an understanding of the work we do and our strategic objectives.
- Capacity to line manage and motivate a small team, setting objectives and assessing performance if required.
- The ability to lead, manage and motivate a team and;
- Demonstrate and be a role model for positive behaviours and to challenge negative or unacceptable behaviours in line with our company values.
- Give clear direction to staff on what needs to be done.
- Give staff an appropriate level of autonomy and freedom to make decisions.
- Create an inclusive working environment where everyone can thrive and fulfil their potential.
- Provide support and encouragement to staff to speak up.
- Celebrate success, praising people for doing a good job.
- Develop staff by providing regular feedback, appropriate training and coaching.
- Tackle under performance and monitor improvement.
- A good understanding of equality, diversity and inclusion issues and best practice and capable of leveraging the thinking of diverse teams and individuals for more effective thinking and decision making.
- A good understanding of business processes and policies relating to the staff management, staff well being, risk management, health and safety, business continuity and information security requirements of the role.