Hostage / Storage Engineer
Aerospace - Coventry
Salary: Up to £45,000
Innovation is at the heart of everything my client does. It's why they consistently deliver solutions for the most challenging environments and why customers worldwide rely on their advanced technologies, products and services for aerospace, defence and selected energy applications.
Headquartered in the UK, they are a global engineering group specialising in extreme environment components and smart sub-systems for aerospace, defence and energy markets. Some 12,200 people are employed across manufacturing facilities in Asia, Europe and North America and regional bases in Brazil, India and the Middle East.
The Hosting & Storage Engineer - Platforms Team will be working across a broad range of technologies and liaising with multiple areas of the business to support, evaluate, build, deliver and maintain the provision of a performant and secure distributed Infrastructure environment. They will have a bias towards Active Directory and VMWare Technologies. They will be responsible for providing specialist technical support and expertise across Infrastructure and Cloud Environment covering hardware, technical systems software and cloud based technologies. To provide specialist technology expertise and be the escalation point across the Hosting & Storage Engineer - Platforms Team, including technical ownership and management of high priority incidents and problem records. Ensuring that technology implemented is supportable and maintainable whilst making practical and commercial recommendations for the maintenance of our technology landscape. Driving efficiencies in the TCO of our technology solutions. They will review the demand pipeline of work so that the impact to support and maintenance is understood. Work with Architecture and Solutions to input into the Technology Strategy and to define the technology direction of the company, ensuring alignment to the Infrastructure Roadmap. To participate in the design authority process for all MIS decisions within programmes, ensuring alignment with Architecture.
- Be responsible for maintaining and proactively managing the global portfolio of Hosting and Storage Solutions
- Provide Specialist level Incident and Problem management support.
- Perform problem identification and root cause analysis for complex issues.
- Perform regular health checks identifying and recommending any potential service improvements
- Participation and engagement in Projects/Service improvements impacting Infrastructure and Data Centre Services.
- Identification ownership and implementation of proactive maintenance plans including essential upgrades and software patches.
- Monitor and review service performance at a component level e.g. Application Server, production of reports including recommendations for risk mitigation.
- 3rd party/vendor liaison with respect to technical support, build and maintenance.
- Meet levels of service in line with published/agreed SLA's.
- Adherence to all processes including:-
- Raising, reviewing and approval of Change Controls.
- Identify, investigate, update and resolve problem records.
- Ensuring the configuration management database is maintained.
- Ensuring that technology implemented is supportable and maintainable.
- To ensure hosting and storage supporting documentation is maintained in line with improvements and maintenance activities.
- Provision of out of hours support including participation in an on-call/stand-by rota. (as per direction from line manager)
- Able to work unsocial hours when required which may include short durations away from home
Key skills and competencies required:
- 2 years + experience in a specialist support/delivery role in a medium to large organisation, with significant technical delivery/support responsibility.
- Deep technical knowledge/specialism of the following technologies to "Expert" level:
- VMware Cloud Foundation/Storage/Server platforms
- Active directory and a multi domain environment
- Global Monitoring and Alerting
- Enterprise Cloud
- Backup, Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery
- Day to day and Datacentre operations in the Platforms environment
- Global server/software obsolesce patching and security
- Experience of configuring, implementing, developing and supporting complex solutions.
- Experienced in impact analysis and technical risk assessment.
- Experienced in driving colleague/customer results through management of direct/indirect resources.
If this role is of interest, please apply or reach out