Our Government client based in London are recruiting for a Head of Cyber Security.
As Head of Cyber Security you will be responsible for ensuring our client has effective Cyber Security capability and we will give you the opportunity to use your passion, enthusiasm and a deep understanding of Cyber Security to help us form the future capability. As you will be joining the new Engineering space in our central Product and Technology team you will have the opportunity to be creative; collaborating to build out your team and re-working our processes, tools (and more!) to meet the needs of the cleint Way.
Working with the Deputy Director Head of Engineering you will be at the heart of a team that enables the client to transform digital services in government. You will be part of a growing security team within the Government Digital Service, who work with colleagues within the Cabinet Office and across government to help minimise security and resilience risk in our portfolio of products and services. Our mission (see above!) is clear; this role will be key in ensuring the
security of these new services, as well as enabling the client to remain agile and responsive to evolving requirements.
We expect the Cyber Security team to fundamentally transform our security engineering, security operations, security architecture and incident response. You will work closely with colleagues to understand these activities, to evolve and provide support and advice as needed. You will have excellent visibility across the organisation to achieve this and will be able to actively prioritise and structure the work of your team to maximise efficiency.
You will be responsible for providing tools, techniques and advice to enable programme teams across the client to deliver their systems in a secure manner and remain secure. Your team will stay on top of changes to security, good practice and industry wide trends and ensure that teams can easily and securely use the best products. We are definitely open to new tools and approached (with a clear user need!) and will provide freedom to investigate these.
The team also acts as an independent source of assurance and advice for other delivery teams and should help facilitate security investigations, red teams, and to act as an audit for teams internal security operations.
You will also be involved in working across Government with security, delivery and policy teams and working to ensure that the client remains at the forefront of security thinking. Ultimately you will be leading the team building better tooling and platforms for secure services, and providing advice and guidance to teams within the client and across government.
Working with our partners you will be responsible for ensuring that our threat identification and intelligence collection; vulnerability management; protective and transactional monitoring; and incident response processes are fit for purpose.
Specifically you will:
- Ensure that the portfolio of programmes and products are delivered to meet Cabinet Office security policy & standards, working in collaboration with Programme Directors and product teams. Establish new and improved processes, tools and capability to achieve this, based on your vision
- Lead our community of security experts working in product teams across the portfolio and leadership - advocating and effectively explaining security standards and practices to all to help manage expectations and support security backlog prioritisation (in line with our strategy). This will include guiding and tightly collaborating with our Information Assurance team
- Expand, maintain and line manage our central Cyber team, prioritising resource needs based on risk to the portfolio. Ensure that the security team is run in line with client values and design principles (including effective use of talent routes and professional development), and make the programme a great place for people to work. Mentor as necessary
- Collaborate across departments to advise on meeting security standards, and work with NCSC and Cabinet Office on Cyber policy formation
- Working with the client PMO Lead and Head of Service Management & Support to ensure visibility and accurate reporting for incidents and effective problem management and resolution, being accountable for these processes
- Help to build more collaborative and constructive relationships with a growing ecosystem of cyber security experts across government and technology suppliers, including relationship and contract management where necessary