Front End Developer
Our Government client are developing products to support the delivery of government priorities, and present evidence and analysis in visually engaging ways for senior decision makers. You will play a key part in leading development of a front-end that is viewed and used by senior decision makers across Government.
You will work with civil servants in the Data Science Team. A unit of the team has a remit to radically improve the way key decisions are informed by data, analysis and evidence, through:
- Enabling the best evidence, and cutting-edge data science in policy and decision-making process, ensuring the staff are intelligent customers of analysis, and embedding a culture of evidence-informed policy;
- Provoking positive change across Central Government, through providing challenge and feedback, and collaborating across Whitehall to drive long-term systems change and collectively solve policy challenges
You will build interfaces that are clear, usable, efficient, and interactive. You will prototype and build new user interfaces, as well as write and update front-end code to the latest standards.
- Build accessible and interactive interfaces to service a range of government needs, taking responsibility for the quality of code you produce
- Create interfaces that are based on user needs
- Share knowledge of tools and techniques with the teams (both developers and non-developers).
- Work with data scientists to map, produce, transform and test new data services, drawing on the most appropriate tools and techniques.
Key Skills / Experience
- An awareness of technologies used for web applications, e.g HTTPS, JSON and CDNs, and of Unix-like operating systems, eg Linux and/or Mac OS.
- Understanding of software design principles, including progressive enhancement.
- Experience in building robust and accessible interfaces that work for multiple users.
- An understanding of front-end web performance.
- Ability to quickly research and learn new programming tools and techniques.
- Experience of using testing to validate solutions.
- Understanding of agile environments and version control.