My client, a large global brand is looking for a EMEA Legal Counsel & Data Protection Manager on a 12 month contract basis. The role ideally would be hybrid (1-2 days in London) and Inside IR35.
The lawyer will report to the lead EMEA Data Protection Counsel. This position will be responsible for supporting, initiating and driving efforts to provide best-in-class data protection-focused legal advice across the business to ensure compliance with applicable EMEA data protection laws, rules and regulations. More specifically that lawyer will be responsible for helping to support, initiate and drive efforts to provide best-in-class data protection-focused legal advice across the business enterprise to ensure compliance with applicable data protection laws, rules and regulations.
Responsibilities to include:
- Providing legal advice to companies and affiliates in the UK and throughout EMEA on the full range data protection issues, including GDPR, Binding Corporate Rules, international data transfer (Schrems II/SCCs), biometrics and issues related to artificial intelligence;
- Providing privacy legal advice and support on collecting, sharing and accessing personal data, digital marketing initiatives, opt-out choices, etc., to ensure that business practices around personal data are in compliance with applicable law and company policies;
- Serving as data protection legal "subject matter expert" to colleagues in the GCO, Privacy Office, Compliance and the businesses;
- Reviewing, negotiating and drafting data protection terms in vendor agreements, confidentiality agreements, privacy policies/notices/disclosures, etc.;
- Providing privacy-related legal advice concerning business transactions, including reviewing contracts with 3rd party vendors and business partners, performing privacy-related legal due diligence and drafting and negotiating applicable privacy-related provisions;
- Proactively monitoring and providing advice on legislative and regulatory developments in the areas of data protection in EMEA;
- Proactively engage and coordinate with market lawyers to monitor regulatory trends and provide advice from a central team standpoint on key legal developments;
- Supporting the global privacy legal team in designing and delivering continuing legal education programs on privacy-related issues;
- Participating in and advising on various strategic initiatives related to cutting-edge privacy and data use issues.
- Minimum 3-5 years relevant privacy experience in a law firm and/or in-house corporate legal environment (in-house and/or EU experience strongly preferred);
- Law degree (UK or EU) and bar admission;
- Strong knowledge of data protection regulations in EMEA markets;
- Corporate transactional background with experience negotiating and drafting a variety of complex commercial agreements, drafting privacy policies, etc.;
- Strong and effective communication, interpersonal and client relationship/management skills;
- Team oriented and self-motivated, with a proactive, pragmatic attitude to help resolve novel, complex issues;
- Ability to handle prioritise work and project manage in a deadline-intensive environment;
- Ability to understand details of business/operational/technology environment in applying legal and policy requirements;
- Willingness and flexibility to take on new responsibilities and challenges as its businesses continue to evolve.
- Prior financial services/fin tech experience a plus;
- CIPP/EU certification a plus;