Our client are experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. They draw on extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world's most challenging problems. Their teams make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don't you join some of the world's finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
As the organisation continues to grow into new markets around the world, there's never been a more exciting time to join. The formula for success is an appetite for innovation, courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges and motivated people who work to deliver the best possible solutions to partners. Joining this market leader offers an opportunity to work on highly technical cutting edge projects, enabling customers to protect, improve and advance their vital interests.
This is an exciting new opportunity for an experienced Communications Engineer to join a team of dedicated professionals to deliver new and exciting Communications systems into the civil and Defence environment. You will have experience of mobile communications, networked systems and architectures, information services and security conventions. Having worked on a number of complex technical projects at all stages of the engineering development life cycle, from requirements capture to user acceptance, you will have confidence working directly with clients, providing authoritative expert advice for formulating and de-risking procurement options.
Working under a Senior Engineer or Architect, you will lead smaller tasks and take responsibility for the task's technical output. As a Communications Engineer, you will work with the technical management team to identify resources required for the task and provide regular progress updates. Undertaking research into state-of-the art techniques for resilient communications at the physical and MAC layers covering a diverse range of communications technologies from across the Electromagnetic spectrum including Radio Frequency (RF) and optical wavelengths.
You will be at ease working within a small to medium sized team and be comfortable taking on new tasks outside of their skill set as required by the business. You will be expected to uphold quality and deliver solutions to budget and time constraints.
The team support projects across a range of sites, so mobility is a requirement of the role. Although based in Malvern, the candidate will be expected to work at other company sites / customer sites as required - with travel & subsistence provided.
- Proactively work with solution architects and aid in the production of (and/or contributions to) proposals for work (preparation/justification of work programmes/plans/resource estimates)
- Lead tasks to ensure delivered solution follow the defined design process and governance procedures and processes through design reviews
- Keep abreast of industry trends and advancements in communications technology
- Be responsible for undertaking project work across the team as required - participation in reference groups, training and research on new functionality etc.
- Working towards becoming recognised as a Communications Systems expert
- Willingness to travel within the UK and potentially overseas
Knowledge of systems including HF, V/UHF and satcom across all critical facets of the capability;
- Antennas and propagation
- Spectrum management, including dynamic spectrum access techniques and Ofcom and Joint Spectrum Authority (JSA) organisations
- Spread Spectrum techniques e.g. direct sequence and frequency hopping
- Communications security (COMSEC) and Transmission Security (TRANSEC)
- Waveform design, including Physical (PHY) layer modulation and Forward Error Correction (FEC) coding