Role: C++/Qt Developer - Sky Platform
Senior Software Developer
Osterley, West London
Sky's TV, Telephony and internet services are provided to multiple countries across Europe reaching over 20 million homes. As a technology leader and innovator, Sky is constantly improving it's products to improve the customer experience and produce a wealth of outstanding content delivered to a variety of platforms and devices.
"Sky Q" is Sky's latest platform that launched in early 2016 and quickly reached millions of homes, giving customers access to much more content, a personalized experience and a powerful platform able to record up to 6 programs at once and stream to other devices in the home.
The Sky Q EPG (Electronic Programme Guide) development team, is responsible for the delivery of the User Interface for the Sky Q box and to all other connected platforms. You will be delivering robust and creative solutions to demanding and often immovable deadlines. The department strives to be seen both internally and externally as a world-class software engineering function, continually delivering high quality solutions.
As a C++/Qt Developer working on the cross-platform Sky Q user interface, you'll be drawing on your know-how to deliver high quality features quickly. You will be encouraged to help solve the problems faced in this domain with the potential of bringing new solutions or technologies to the platform. You'll be knowledgeable and passionate about technology, enjoy pairing with other smart people and use agile to ensure your projects succeed. The EPG needs to allow the customer to discover and present large amounts of programming in an easy to use and digest fashion.
- Develop excellent quality software using agile techniques such as Test Driven Development and Pair Programming
- Take an active role in Story definition, assisting QA's and business stakeholders with Acceptance criteria
- Drive best technology and software development practices into the team with passion and enthusiasm
- Participate in regular showcases of new work to the product owners and business stakeholders
- Strive for continuous improvement within the team
- Strong C++ development background and comfortable working in a Linux environment
- Strong unit testing and Agile background is essential
- Strong GUI experience using UI frameworks
- Exposure to Qt is highly beneficial
- Regular use of agile and XP practices such as pairing and TDD are highly beneficial
- Experience of development on embedded devices, graphics stacks would be a bonus
- Working alongside creative colleagues, and bringing their work to life as faithfully as possible
- Knowledge and experience of a wide range of best of breed open source and commercial technologies
- Bachelors' degree or equivalent industry experience
- Good communication skills - comfortable communicating at all levels
- A track record of getting the job done
- An enthusiasm and aptitude for learning new skills and practices
- An enthusiasm for new technology
- Take pride and ownership in your work
- Good team player and communication skills
- Demonstrate an agile mindset
if you feel you are suitable for this position please submit your CV in the first instance.