SC Clearance required
3 Months +
- Able to fit into existing shift patterns covering 07:30 - 18:00 and may be required to work occasionally outside of normal office hours incl. weekends and participate in an on-call rota
- As part of the clients Corporate Desktop team, the Application Packager role primarily service requests to acquire and prepare software for installation or streaming onto the clients Windows Endpoints using industry standard packaging tools.
- The role requires the deployment of the software to endpoints using enterprise deployment tools.
- The role also includes testing and quality assurance of any packages created to ensure they meet the clients packaging standards.
- The clients Corporate manages over 2500 PCs, with many other endpoints deployed by the clients Divisions.
- The business context requires strong understanding of operating within a highly Security sensitive environment including the implications of handling government protectively marked data.
- Support the Head of IT operations and Desktop Architect in delivery of IT Services and improvements
- Working with members of the Desktop Mobility and Operations team in the support and configuration of the software that would be used on devices.
- Creation of Windows Installer and streaming packages to install on the networks
- Testing and quality assurance of packages produced to ensure they meet with the clients packaging standards
- Deployment of packages using either enterprise software deployment tools or Appsense or other methods used within the business.
- Updating of deployed packages to ensure they are up to date and patched
- Deploy software security updates to clients and servers to help keep them secure.
- Pro-Active Identification of operational issues and risks, and the recommendation of resolutions using domain expertise
- Liaison with software providers (from vendors providing widely used Enterprise software, to small development teams internally) to analyse the software requirements (in terms of both s/w pre-requisites
- Support of packages and deployment infrastructure (especially in "early life support" of critical packages created
- Maintenance of documentation of packaging, including build methods, software configurations, contacts in third parties, and all aspects of installations including pre-requisites, assumptions, dependencies such as firewall settings, group policy set requirements etc
- Assisting other teams with software related issues such as licensing, acquisition of software, etc. to help deploy software to the requesters efficiently.
- Assisting and advising projects as software deployment subject matter expert
Experience & Qualifications
- Experience of Microsoft server technologies (e.g. Windows Server)
- Experience of supporting Microsoft Client Operating systems configuration (e.g. Windows XP, 7, 8.1,10)
- Experience of supporting Microsoft Office 2010
- Experience of System Center Configuration Manager 2007 and 2012 to deploy software and Windows updates to clients and servers
- Experience of deploying Microsoft updates using WSUS (Windows Server Update Services)
- Experience in repackaging software using Enterprise repackaging tools such as Flexera AdminStudio
- Experience of creating Microsoft App-V and VMWare ThinApp streaming application packages
- Knowledge of at least one scripting language such as VBScript or PowerShell
- SC security clearance required
- ITIL certification