Web Operations Engineer (AWS)
The Digital, Information and Technology (DIT) directorate uses analytics and insights to develop and maintain the suite of digital and technology services. The teams in DIT design, develop and maintain the suite of externally facing digital services, as well as being responsible for the delivery and development of the internal systems and IT operations.
Key deliverables and outcomes
The Web Operations Engineer is a short-term position to provide additional resources for the existing Web Ops team; working with our already established Web Ops team to tackle our outstanding backlog.
We are looking for a passionate Web Operations Engineer who cares about building, running and improving infrastructure systems. You'll collaborate with delivery teams to provide infrastructure and operational support for new and existing digital services. We expect you to be familiar with cloud infrastructure providers (especially AWS), configuration management techniques, as well as working practices such as continuous integration and continuous deployment.
- Build and configure new secure server platforms (mainly in AWS) and the automated tooling to do so.
- Assisting with the migration of some internal services to AWS.
- Maintain existing infrastructure and suggest improvements.
- Provide technical support to the product development team.
- Have a good knowledge of modern web protocols and security standards.
- Contribute to the WebOps community of practise by sharing knowledge and skills.
Skills and Experience
- Extensive experience of configuring and migrating services into Amazon Web Service (AWS)
- Extensive experience of managing AWS infrastructure and resources
- Experience of using configuration management tools
- Experience of debugging a complex, multi-server service in a high availability environment
- Experience of administering common databases like MySQL, SQL Server, MongoDB, RavenDB
- Experience of the operational management of Window servers, delivering a complex web application stack
Additional desirable skills and experience required*
- An understanding of application deployment strategies, continuous integration and version control
- Experience of the operational management of Linux servers, delivering a complex web application stack.
- Knowledge of container orchestration systems and minimalist operating systems.
- Knowledge of monitoring and logging solutions.
- Familiarity with network protocols - TCP/IP, HTTP, TLS, etc
- Effective communicator at all levels of an organisation using a variety of media
- AWS Solutions Architect certification