Job Title: Senior Network Engineer
Location: Farnborough, Malvern, Boscombe Down
Working Model: Primarily remote but some travel will be required from time to time
Duration: 6 months initial contract with potential to extend
Inside IR35 via Umbrella: Paystream, Advance, Giant
- As a member of the UK Shared Services team, provide support and subject matter expertise to the IT Services function. Delivering planned or requested activities, which will depend on the requirements of the individual task in order to effectively deliver high quality services to our customers.
- Including but not limited to:
- Support the Head of UK IT Services and the UK Shared Services function in the delivery of IT network services to QinetiQ across physical, virtual and cloud based technologies.
- Act as primary technical escalation for systems/services within your remit ensuring obsolescence is reviewed and support the development of suitable roadmaps. This includes the development and maintenance of standards in respect of network systems and services.
- Act as a source of technical knowledge and expertise for other areas of IT Services mentoring others as appropriate
- Lead elements of the development new technologies and enhancements to existing services
- Drive initiatives to identify and deliver improvements to existing services
- Provide technical leadership within your specialism
- Guide and support successful transition of new technologies/solutions into service.
- Collaborate to develop solutions and services aligned to QinetiQ's strategies and requirements.
- Maintain a high level of understanding of existing and new technologies and provide mentoring to less experience members of IT Services under your own initiative
- Ensure that support documentation is maintained and configuration records for all managed application services is up to date at point of deployment taking ownership for any that are out of compliance and ensuring the issue is rectified
- Identify and develop methods and procedures to improve security and data privacy within the current portfolio of solutions as well potentially providing support during the analysis and remedial actions during and after security incidents.
- Assist in developing and maintaining disaster recovery and business continuity capabilities
- Where necessary work with IT architecture teams to development and deliver IT solutions to the highest professional standards aligned to both IT and business requirements.
- Develop knowledge on the implementation of mature services including monitoring, automation, scripting and asset management tooling
- Ensure solutions implemented and activities undertaken, meet all functional and security requirements.
- Focus on continually reviewing, maintaining and improving system security.
- Apply an approach of "automate first" when developing, implementing or supporting IT solutions
- Act as an primary escalation point on IT incidents and problems if required
- Comply with configuration control requirements
- Ensure all mandatory training is under taken.
- Autonomy - To deliver a high quality business service by interpreting knowledge of policy framework.
- Resolution/Escalation of Queries - To resolve a wide range of complex queries and support others with the resolution of more complex issues, escalating where appropriate.
- Communication/ Collaboration - To deliver a high standard of communication to establish relationships with senior stakeholders in order to create collaborative working environments to deliver effective UKSS business.
- Continuous Improvement - To identify and lead continuous improvement activities relevant to processes within their role.
- Resilience - Ensure a security first approach to all activities and be responsible for maintaining and developing the capability and competency of their team so that customer demands are met in order to ensure resilience.
- Professional Development - To represent/share the latest wider industry best practises with colleagues and a personal commitment to professional/ technical development.
- Refer to core UKSS QinetiQ Competency Framework (for the minimum required Business, Personal, Leadership competencies for this role) & the relevant Technical Competency Framework per service area for any additional technical requirements for this role
- Highly IT literate, with in depth knowledge of IT network systems
- Apply detailed knowledge of IT service delivery methodologies
- Ability to set and manage priorities judiciously
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Exceptionally self-motivated and directed
- Superior analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities
- Thorough, disciplined and with proven ownership of risk.
- Able to adapt pace of delivery to meet changing business requirements.
- Actively engage in professional and personal development in order to align to business and technology changes.
- Able to fit into existing shift patterns and may be required to work occasionally outside of normal office hour's incl. weekends and participate in an on-call rota.
- Engages on technical and business challenges quickly.
- Excellent collaboration skills
- Highly customer focused and concerned with meeting and exceeding customer expectations.
Experience & Qualifications
- Extensive (5+ years) experience of Enterprise Level IT networking services
- A Technical Degree (i.e. within a Computer Science, Math's, Engineering or equivalent field), and/or 5+ years relevant technical experience
- Extensive knowledge in Cisco LAN & WAN technologies such as ISE, Nexus and Firepower
- Extensive knowledge of Switching, Routing including OSPF, M-BGP
- Extensive experience in F5 configuration and management including LTM and ASM modules
- Experience with VMWare NSX-V/T services advantageous
- Experience with Network firewalls specifically Palo Alto and ASA appliances
- Experience deploying and troubleshooting VPN technologies e.g. Policy Based, Proxy based, Encapsulation based (mGRE, GRE), IKEv1, IKEv2
- Implementing and troubleshooting QoS
- Experience deploying Wi-Fi services including Wi-Fi 6
- Experience or familiarity with Public Cloud (AWS/Azure/GCP)
- Experience in Automation technologies relevant to technical specialism
- A clear understanding of IT Security Standards in an enterprise environment
- CCNP or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge and experience with Patapsco
- Experience in producing technical documents and procedures
- Working Knowledge of Networking management toolsets
- Experience & /or understanding of Wireless, Video Conferencing, Collaboration, Security appliances.
- ITILv4.0 Framework Certificate or equivalent experience of an ITIL Service Management Implementation.
- Knowledge of ISO 27001 and Cyber Essentials+ requirements into an enterprise level IT service
- Security Clearance (SC) is required for this role and must be maintained.