Senior / Principal Cyber Security Engineer
Our client are dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. People around the world depend on this organisation for their safety and security, and to enable the safety and security of others. Partnering with customers, their teams help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend.
The organisation has a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines, and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as they undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, they get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems. Being part of this company means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Come and find out how you can play a role.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced cyber security engineer to work across a number of key programmes of work for both internal and external customers, including MoD departments, Government agencies and commercial organisations. Our security engineers work with a variety of technologies, including public cloud, and all bring specialist expertise in certain areas, but are expected to quickly pick up new technologies based on the needs of our customers.
As a senior cyber security engineer, you'll be responsible for ensuring that critical projects are appropriately secured through the design, build and support phases, providing detailed technical expertise to Product Owners, Security Architects and System/Platform Engineers to build systems that simultaneously achieve the desired mission outcomes and provide robust defences against sophisticated and highly motivated attackers.
The position will involve leading or supervising the development of detailed designs for information systems that take advantage of modern security technologies, then acting as an expert technical consultant for the platform/software/networks engineering team and more junior security engineers throughout the build, to ensure that security is an integrated part of the development phase. You will likely be expected to work simultaneously across a portfolio of projects, using your judgement about which projects or more junior security engineers need the greatest support, balancing the needs of a complex organisation and customer set.
We are happy to discuss flexible and remote working, though you may be expected to occasionally travel to our site in Malvern and to customer sites in the UK.
Skills & Experience
- Excellent technical understanding of cyber security issues
- Specialist knowledge in one or more areas of technology
- Experience securing sensitive workloads against sophisticated technical threats
- Able to make complex risk-balance judgements
- Able to gain trust and 'buy in' from a variety of stakeholders, both with and without strong technical backgrounds
- Able to rapidly acquire new technical information as technology and security threats evolve
- At least five years' postgraduate (or equivalent level) experience in a cyber security role
- Ability to read, write and review code in at least one programming language
- Experience of working with agile workflow tools (e.g. JIRA / Confluence)
- Experience of working with Infrastructure as Code
- Experience of working with Continuous Integration / Continuous Development tools
- Experience making subtle security arguments to achieve accreditation / authority to operate
- Experience leading engineering governance / change control activities
- Minimum 2:1 in a STEM degree or equivalent