Role: Senior Accountant 12 month Fixed Term Contract
Location: Portsmouth, England, GB
Salary: £45,000- £52,000 depending on experience
As a senior member of the Contracts accounting team this role delivers key finance and accounting outputs to the business and the contracts you manage without supervision. You will be expected to manage your contracts finances end to end and to completion as well as business partnering with stakeholders and central services.
You will be required to provide first class financial control, advice and support to contract managers.
- Support to Contract managers on a regular basis. Review that all projects are correctly accounted for and highlight any concerns to Business finance.
- Preparation to produce monthly management accounts, including reconciliations, journals for a business area on a quick turnaround through ERP system
- Resolves queries and emerging issues using judgement based on analysis of information and utilising experience and knowledge of finance and accounting activities
- Supporting and delivers reliable reporting requirements for the business, which usually fall under tight deadlines
- Attend/Lead on regular Project review meetings, liaising with Business Finance, Cost Centre Managers, including travel to various sites.
- Help with efficiently closing and delivering a number of key contracts through effective accounting and partnering
- Leading on month end processes for a specific business area, ensuring that all journals that are posted to the accounts are timely and accurate. Involvement in transaction posting where necessary, which will include reconciliations
- Top level understanding of the P&L and Balance Sheet, able to provide detailed commentary and answer questions from Team Leads, Business Finance and other interested stakeholders
- Overseeing and preparing monthly Management Packs and Balance Sheet Packs, ready for Team Lead and Business Finance review
- Support the Business finance team with forecasting and budgeting rounds for your area, ensure the relevant information is extracted from the reviews and the numbers provided are appropriate and accurate for submission
- For Projects, review of bids against standard checklist for compliance with process, completeness and accuracy of the financial data and modelling included
- For Cost Centre, attend regular HoD reviews and completion of month end and LBE dashboards
- Other ad hoc reporting required from key stakeholders, Team Leads and Management Information Services
- Attention to detail and excellent analytical skills
- Effective time management and a can-do attitude
- Flexibility in approach and attitude - open to change
- Customer service and delivery of quality outputs
- Excellent communication skills and willingness to take on additional tasks where necessary
Experience & Qualifications
- Fully Qualified accountant CIMA, ACA, ACCA, or AAT. If not, qualified by significant demonstrated experience. At least 3 year's experience in a Management Accounting role is essential.
- Confidence to challenge results and provide accurate and relevant feedback
- Knowledge of SAP and Microsoft Office, in particular Excel is essential
- Project/contract accounting experience is essential
- Proven experience of being able to prioritise tasks and meet tight deadlines, working alongside other members of the team in an efficient and structured way
- Must have big business experience and knowledge of using an ERP system