Role: Orchestration Software Engineer
Duration: 6 Months
Location: on-site in Corsham
Do you want to be part of an award winning organisation at the forefront of technology?
The Infrastructure Automation Engineering Service will support the technical team responsible for the design, development, documentation, building and validation of infrastructure automation components which form part of the NSoIT(D) Platform. These automation components are primarily developed using Python3 (Low level automation), Ansible (Deployment), Jenkins (Configuration generation and build pipelines) and Bash (Linux) / PowerShell (Windows Server) with a focus on hardware components, specifically their various features, services, and configurations, as well as interactions with external REST/SOAP APIs and services. The team's responsibilities include:
* Apply complex problem solving to "reverse engineer" applications, designs and manual build instructions to create zero touch automation packages that are parameterised, dynamic and able to repeatedly and reliably deploy against these designs. Often these applications are legacy, were created without automation in mind or are otherwise resistive to full, zero touch automation.
* Create production quality code, following industry standard best practices as well as internal policies and procedures, utilising Version Control mechanisms such as GIT and BitBucket to submit development code as well as peer reviewing other team members' code modules.
* Production and review of all levels of design artefacts.
* Supporting wider NSoIT(D) system testing activities.
* Working with Service Management to resolve issues.
* Working within the Atlassian Suite for tasking / scheduling (JIRA) and documentation (Confluence).
Essential skills, qualifications, and experience
In order to deliver this service, it is essential that individuals have:
* At least 12 months' demonstrable hands on experience within the last 3 years of:
o Creating complex Python3 automation Classes for production systems
o Using configuration management tools e.g. Ansible, Puppet, Chef
o Use of scripting languages e.g. Bash and PowerShell for in OS automation
o Automated deployment of server, network and storage technologies across multiple vendors
o Building or supporting large infrastructure environments
o Troubleshooting hardware or software component failure
o Working as part of an Agile development team
* Demonstrable experience with advanced Python3 and PowerShell coding features e.g. Workflows, Desired State Configuration (DSC) and Bare Metal Deployment
* At least one of the following professional certifications that have been obtained within the last five years:
o Networking certification - CCNP (Cisco Certified Network Professional) or similar
o Virtualisation certification - VMware VCP (VMware vCenter Certified Professional) or similar,
o Linux certification - RHCA or RHCE
o Formal Software Development certification - OCA (Oracle Certified Associate) or similar
* Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
* Strong critical thinking and analytical skills to solve problems and propose new ideas.
* Hold a valid Security Clearance (SC)
* Competency in MS Office Suite.
Desirable skills, qualifications, and experience
In order to deliver this service, it is desirable that individuals have:
* Knowledge of the Atlassian toolset (JIRA, Confluence, and Bamboo) to record and document work.
* Experience of:
o Working within the public sector, preferably Defence, and ideally with Defence Digital (formerly ISS).
o Delivering accredited secure solutions within the UK Public Sector.
* A Computer Science university-based education at bachelor's or Masters level.