The project shall improve the quality of our Defence clients data, through new data structures to enable data exploitation through Machine Learning and Data Science.
The Data Engineer will work within the multi-disciplined Data team. This team consists of Authority Crown Servants, current contract supplier technical resource, and separately procured technical resource.
The Cyber and Data team fits within the current construct of the Data as a Service function, which forms part of the wider Cyber Operations.
Data Engineers are responsible for implementing the designs of the data engineering community, applying data flows to connect operational systems, data for analytics and business intelligence (BI) systems.
You shall document source-to-target mappings and re-engineer manual data flows to enable scaling and repeatable use while supporting the build of data streaming systems.
You shall write ETL scripts and code to make sure the ETL process performs optimally and develop business intelligence reports that can be re-used build accessible data for analysis.
Key Skills / Experience
- Proven experience as a Data Engineer
- BSc/BA in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant field; graduate degree in Data Engineering or other numerical field is preferred
- Experience in data mining
- Awareness of machine-learning and operations research, statistical data analysis and data visualisation
- Practitioner of R, SQL and Python.
- Familiarity with Cloud Services (such as Azure, AWS & IBM).
- Familiarity with Scala, Java or C++ is an asset
- Experience using business intelligence tools (e.g. Tableau) and data frameworks (e.g. Hadoop)
- Experience of Agile development CI/CD pipeline.
- Analytical mind set and business acumen
- Problem-solving aptitude
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience with SIEM tools.
- Previous experience working within a defence or intelligence environment
- Previous experience working within a defensive cyber security environment
- An existing portfolio which demonstrates aptitude and skills