The UK (small and medium business) SME market is a fast-moving, high volume segment (2-3 millions SMEs in the UK) that we address with a variety of sales channels each serving a distinctive purpose - digital, retail stores, telesales, indirect partners (3rd party) and field (includes Local Business franchise model).
This role sits within the SME commercial team. Commercial team understanding and control ("trading") of marketing, sales, propositional and pricing activity is pivotal as customers get little or no account management and their purchase decisions are transactional with business rules set centrally to be used at high frequency rather than being bespoke or bid based.
This role creates and maintains the unique, SME segment wide, performance framework and commercial plan:
- Trading performance: The role holders team will run the weekly trading process, monthly P&L review and monthly Operating Review up to MD/CEO level - helping us maintain a tight grip on current performance (volume, value and financial). An open mind and a passion to continually improve how we evaluate and communicate performance at all points from demand generation to sales to resigns/regrades and churn is key.
- Budget and Commercial Plan: This is more than just a financial plan - it is the business plan/strategy of how we will win in the SME market and this role owns its creation and maintenance. It comes in the form of 5 year budget (BRF/MTP) updated twice a year and detailed quarterly plan completed before each calendar quarter - to ensure we have detailed, hydraulic (not simply trended) plans where marketing, props, sales, service and pricing understand what needs to happen to deliver.
Role holder is single point of truth for trading plans, performance vs targets and collated insight from across the SME segment - providing historic/future views, sector wide analysis, insight and trade off options to Commercial Director across SME. As such, they will also pull together the monthly Operating Review for SME (to be presented to Enterprise CEO) which is the single executive report on performance and key initiatives for SME.
- Agreeing and influencing business cases and other SME impacting plans from proposition, digital, sales enablement or Customer experience teams
- Owning commercial plan, with proposition/strategy team input, on complex initiatives like All IP and Convergence
- Optimising performance across the existing sales channels and launching/working with more novel channels to market
- Bringing together our commercial plan and trading performance for triple brand - working closely with Plusnet Business which sits in the Consumer division but whose P&L is owned in SME
- Demand planning - understanding what level of demand is coming in via multiple sources (calls, digital, retail footfall, service and agency leads) and how we enhance/optimise via marketing, prospect data acquisition, etc
- The interface into the Service organisation for managing cycle time, WIP and cost to serve/install
Please forward CVs to Leigh Sproston