Role: Cloud Engineer
Duration: 12 Months
- The Senior Cloud engineer will be responsible for ownership, design and implementation of Infrastructure/platforms on AWS or other cloud platforms.
- The post holder will work closely with other technical specialists in supporting new platforms as they are deployed. The post holder will ensure appropriate designs are fully scalable, resilient and cost optimised to ensure stable service delivery for internal customers and citizens whilst undertaking continuous improvement activity to optimise cost and performance.
- The Senior Cloud Engineer will have broad experience of software development, infrastructure engineering and operations and will understand the goals and strategy behind each project from
- conception through completion. They will support the development and operation of software through tools, environments and practices and are responsible for underpinning good development processes.
- The role requires a dynamic, highly motivated individual with the ability to work under pressure, and have well developed problem solving skills. You must be an excellent team player, quick learner and self-starter dedicated to maintaining high quality standards. This is a key role in order to ensure that Social Security Scotland develops a future technology capability which can be rapidly changed to support business outcomes
- Lead a feature team of infrastructure specialists and engineers ensuring services are integrated, delivered and operated as required.
- On-going build and maintenance of the Social Security infrastructure environments .
- The creation of the Social Security Cloud infrastructure, utilising appropriate tools for identifying and correcting complex issues.
- Planning and scheduling of appropriate cloud infrastructure releases in line with release and change management procedures.
- Develop the necessary pipelines and tooling to support the Social Security DevOps cloud practices.
- Maintaining knowledge of this area of the ICT specialism, to suggest enhancements or modernisation where and when applicable. The post holder(s) will also be required to stay informed of developments in other areas of technology which have a bearing on the provision of services for the Social Security Programme and Agency.
- Defining and manage small scale projects for improving the platform.
- Act as technical product owners, developing medium-long term strategies for product lines.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance through coaching and mentoring
- Lead the sharing of knowledge and good practice
Working knowledge of deploying, developing and managing AWS cloud platform, automation and scripting skills such as Python, Ruby, Groovy proficiency and shell scripting (e.g. BASH), use of GIT for source code version control
Experience of platform and application automated deployment technologies such as (Ansible, Terraform, AWX) and exposure to continuous integration and build tools (e.g. Jenkins, Maven, Gradle, or similar).
Knowledge of Kubernetes container management platforms such as EKS and Openshift
Experience of Linux/Unix/Windows system administration skills good understanding of infrastructure, network, and application security including understanding of OWASP objectives and requirements, configuration of firewalls, load balancers and other network equipment.