Business Analyst - BI - London - 6 months
Business Analyst - BI - London - 6 months
The work location is London / remote working.
The pay rate on offer is £550 - £585 per day.
The client are a large, multinational insurance company.
- A highly experienced Business Intelligence (BI) Business Analyst (BA) who can work with stakeholders at all levels of the business to identify & capture requirements for BI systems & processes that deliver value to the business
- Deliver functional specifications, conduct feasibility studies and produce designs/models to support large project delivery
- Translate the high level vision for projects into a PID and then into Business Requirements Documents and detailed requirements (which are "stories" of tangible deliverables), maintaining the traceability to original objectives and goals
- Use proficient technical understanding and experience in BI systems and processes to drive good outcomes to meet the needs of the business
- Help facilitate an agile development methodology, working closely with BI development teams to efficiently deliver business change.
- Work with project sponsors and stakeholders to identify and document business requirements with associated benefits analysis or business cases
- Work with Project Managers to draft and develop Stage Gate documentation
- Draw on significant BA experience to gather more complex and, potentially, organisation wide functional and non-functional requirements. Using interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, surveys, site visits, business process descriptions, use cases, scenarios, business analysis, and task and workflow analysis.
- Act as the Data Product Owner for designated projects, writing user and technical stories for the BI development team, ensuring work is delivered in line with project timescales and costs
- Represent the business, and their processes, at design meetings and make decisions on the business' behalf
- Manage the business requirements through the full project lifecycle, including user acceptance testing, business implementation, warranty and process documentation
- Manage traceability from requirements through to implementation
- Represent the business at Go/No Go Release meetings, making decisions on the business' behalf
- Manage and organise the delivery of system fixes (IMs) and BI/MI requests
- Work with the business and BI team to document existing processes and system behaviours
- Assess the impact of proposed changes on the analytical data platform (including semantic models and reporting)
- Utilise business and technical BI stack knowledge to provide inputs to project scoping and planning; including risks, issues, constraints, assumptions and dependencies
- Provides direction and support to project management, data engineers, data architects, data scientists, testers and implementation teams as and when required
Essential Skills and Expertise:
- Very strong knowledge of transactional and operational systems, data transformation (on premise to cloud), data regulations (GDPR), procedures and controls
- Excellent decision maker, taking into account the needs of the situation, priorities and constraints
- Subject-matter-expertise in both business domain and business intelligence.
- Interested in gaining an in-depth knowledge of business areas and a detailed technical understanding of the supporting IT services and applications
- Undertakes any necessary training associated with the duties of the post and participates in training and development procedures
- Creative mindset with ability to think innovatively
- Passion to challenge complexity and simplify processes
- Ability to communicate confidently and clearly to technical and operational people
- Effective prioritization and execution of tasks
- Analytical and problem-solving capabilities with a strong attention to detail.
- Self-motivated and goal orientated
- Enjoys working with statistics, identifying trends and patterns. Good attention to detail
- Comfortable working with both modern (cloud native) and traditional data platforms or databases unaided
Ideal Skills and Expertise:
- Degree qualification or equivalent industry experience
- Relevant business/ MI/ BI analyst experience
- Agile methodology and Agile Product Owner experience preferred
- Experience of working on large programmes of work
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft BI (Business Intelligence) stack
- Good exposure to cloud (AWS, Azure or Google) based data platforms (such as Snowflake, SQLDW, Redshift or Big Query)
- Exposure to Big Data platforms (such as Hadoop or variants such as Cloudera, Spark, or Data Bricks)
- Exposure to data science or predictive analytics use cases
- Dimensional Modelling & Data Warehousing
- Strong SQL skills (PL/SQL and T-SQL desirable)
- Advanced Excel skills