Senior Software Development Engineer (SSDE) - Android
Up to £650 p/d
Remote apart from 1 day a week in London
As part of the Mobile Engineering Fellowship, you'll be working in cross-functional (iOS and Android) squads where everyone's ideas matter. You'll contribute to our Play Store chart topping Android application that's used by millions of loyal customers every month and is at the forefront of our online business.
Our app is a modular app, written primarily in Kotlin, though we do currently support elements written in Java too, and we are always looking for ways to improve, enhance and extend its functionality. Whether that be core functionality or cross platform technologies such as Kotlin Multiplatform. We want someone with an innovation mindset, with excellent awareness of new technologies and a solid grasp on the full engineering stack that thrives in a collaborative product development and engineering environment.
We're looking for enthusiastic, product-focused Android developers to join our growing mobile engineering team at M&S and contribute to our Play Store chart topping Android application that's used by over a million of our loyal customers every month.
- Steer our overarching mobile engineering strategy and architecture
- Lead improvements of our platforms and engineering practices
- Create an environment for continuous learning, improvement and feedback for fellow engineers
- Mentor and coach more junior members of the team
- Architect sound solutions for features at the epic-level
- Setting and continually improving our development standards
- Actively seeks to work with the wider technology organisation, engages in cross functional engineering forums and displays genuine interest to learn more about the big picture of our platforms
- Supporting and informing product managers about technical decisions and their impact
- Google Play Store targeting minimum Android SDK version 23 (Android 6.0)
- Latest Kotlin, Java and Android Studio
- Development towards common App libraries with iOS using Kotlin Multiplatform.
- Modularised approach to App development
- Progressing towards app availability on Huawei App Gallery (both GMS and HMS) as well as an expectation to also support Amazon App Store.
- CI and CD via Bitrise
- Regularly adopting the latest Google technologies - Google Pay, Widgets and Instant Apps
- Focused on strong unit testing coverage and an ambition to push our UI automation to the next level
Mission Critical Experiences
- Demonstrable commercial experience in Kotlin, Java and Android development
- Understands continuous integration deployment
- Experienced in using jUnit and kotlin. test or similar
- Passion for improving code and UI performance via Instruments (Leaks, time profiler, etc)
- Experienced in an agile delivery framework (Scrum, Kanban, etc)
- Collaborative problem solver
- Loves to contribute new ideas and improvements to the product
- Writing testable code, unit tests and following test driven development
- Broad understanding of the testing pyramid
- Highly engaged in technical discussions
Mission Critical Attributes
- A healthy thirst for learning and knowledge
- Ability to work well with others in cross-functional teams
- A passion for all aspects of software engineering
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken and able to adjust for different audiences
- Ability to provide constructive feedback to team members
- Humbleness, humility and honesty
- Cares about the business and the bigger picture
- A leadership and 'leads by example' mindset who naturally takes responsibility
- Naturally puts themselves forward for challenging tasks
- Extremely delivery focused and takes pride in being reliable, and delivering high-quality product
- An ambition to be an open-source contributor, technology writer or speaker
- Acts as a driving force in the engineering community and thinks at the level of the entire industry.
This list is by no means a checklist, nor is it fully comprehensive. We are looking for passionate Android developers who just love building the next best thing on Google's, Huawei's and Amazon's platforms and working with others to achieve the best value for our customers. If you think this is you - get in touch!