Cloud Service Owner
£50,870 and £62,643 with excellent benefits
Full time, Permanent
We have an exciting opportunity with one of our clients, a technology driven government department, who require a Cloud Service Owner to support their ongoing digital transformation.
As Service Owner of Cloud & Virtual Platforms, you will act as the technical subject matter expert and lead on defining and delivering a vision for the Cloud & Virtual Platforms service. You will be responsible for owning, maintaining and evolving innovative technology products and services that deliver maximum value for users with a strong commitment to continuous improvement.
You will own day-to-day management and prioritisation of the service backlog, collaborating with colleagues across the Digital Service and beyond to provide a highly available, secure and reliable Cloud & Virtual Platforms service.
- Maintains standards of excellence across all areas of delivery, including user experience, accessibility, reliability, performance and delivering a high quality service.
- Day-to-day management of the product service backlog: actively limiting work in progress, removing blockers and prioritising the flow of work to ensure that the user need is paramount in all delivery
- Actively monitors and reviews the performance of the Cloud & Virtual Platforms product / service, managing availability, capacity and acting as the key point of contact during major incidents
- Actively monitors cloud platform usage and spending patterns, working closely with key stakeholders to manage and optimise running costs of Parliaments services running in the cloud
- Collaborates with the 'Head of Networking & Hosting Platforms' to input into architecture, roadmap and standards for Cloud & Virtual Platforms
- Acts as technical lead in supplier selection; conducting research into emerging technologies; providing the technical evaluation of products, options and responses to tenders
- Provides technical direction and advice to programmes and projects.
- Embraces and promotes a culture of delivery within the team, supported by taking an agile, open, user-driven approach
- Day-to-day management of technical resource, ensuring relevant levels of skills, productivity, performance and motivation are maintained. Recruitment and allocation of appropriate technical resource for projects / business requests
- Monitors and coaches direct reports in all aspects of current best operational practice.
- Ensures a culture of open and inclusive collaboration across the Technology team. Actively supports and encourages the creation of multi-skilled technical teams within a product-centric environment
- Acts as the subject matter expert representing the product / service during design reviews, service assessments and change boards
Essential skills & experience:
- Experience in designing, implementing and supporting Cloud & Virtual Platforms solutions, with specific knowledge of:
- Cloud hosting solutions, such as Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, Amazon Web Services and their respective Infrastructure-as-a Service, Platform-as-a-Service and Software-as-a-Service products
- Network architectures to support the use of Public Cloud services including usage of Virtual Private Cloud connections, such as Express Route.
- Awareness of server / platform performance monitoring, analysis and troubleshooting tools, such as SCOM and OMS
- Virtual platform solutions, such as Vmware, Hyper-V and storage solutions, such as Netapp and Pure Storage.
- Physical and cloud-based pre-production environments.
- Physical and cloud-based back-up technologies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex information clearly and effectively
- Strong interpersonal skills with proven ability to establish positive working relationships and influence and persuade at all levels
- Excellent planning and organisational skills and able to prioritise to meet deadlines and cope with fluctuations in workload
- Strong teambuilding and management skills with the ability to motivate, lead and develop a large diverse team ensuring resources are organised appropriately and effectively