Job Title: Cloud Engineer - Experis Academy
Location: Scotland (Remote options available)
Salary: £24,000 and above, commensurate with experience
About Us: The Experis Academy helps companies solve their most pressing workforce challenges, particularly during uncertain times when support is needed to access in-demand talent today and build the future workforce. Our solutions have been developed to provide you with end-to-end support so you can transform how you source and manage your workforce. Bringing together our industry-leading candidate database with a suite of digital training powered by our Global partner network, our solutions enable you to broaden your potential talent pool by hiring the right people with the right cultural and soft skills fit for your organization, trusting that an element of their technical skills can be developed on the job through the Experis Academy.
Job Description: The Cloud Engineer will be responsible for ownership, design, and implementation of infrastructure/platforms on AWS or other cloud platforms. The successful candidate will work closely with other technical specialists to support new platforms and ensure they are fully scalable, resilient, and cost-optimized. Key responsibilities include:
- Lead a feature team of infrastructure specialists and engineers to integrate, deliver, and operate services as required.
- Build and maintain Social Security infrastructure environments.
- Create Social Security Cloud infrastructure using appropriate tools to identify and correct complex issues.
- Plan and schedule cloud infrastructure releases in line with release and change management procedures.
- Develop pipelines and tooling to support Social Security DevOps cloud practices.
- Stay informed of developments in technology relevant to the provision of services for the Social Security Programme and Agency.
- Define and manage small-scale projects for platform improvement.
- Act as a technical product owner, developing medium to long-term strategies for product lines.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance through coaching and mentoring.
- Lead the sharing of knowledge and good practice within the team.
- Proven experience in cloud engineering, particularly with AWS or other cloud platforms.
- Broad experience in software development, infrastructure engineering, and operations.
- Strong understanding of project goals and strategy from conception through completion.
- Ability to work under pressure and solve complex problems effectively.
- Excellent team player with strong communication skills.
- Quick learner and self-starter dedicated to maintaining high-quality standards.
- Experience with DevOps practices and tools.
- Ability to define and manage small-scale projects for platform improvement.
- Capacity to act as a technical product owner and develop medium to long-term strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to provide technical leadership and guidance through coaching and mentoring.
- Scottish Government checks clearance is required.
- Working knowledge of deploying, developing, and managing AWS cloud platform.
- Proficiency in automation and scripting skills such as Python, Ruby, Groovy, and shell scripting (e.g., BASH).
- Experience using GIT for source code version control.
- Familiarity with platform and application automated deployment technologies such as Ansible, Terraform, AWX.
- Exposure to continuous integration and build tools (e.g., Jenkins, Maven, Gradle, or similar).
- Knowledge of Kubernetes container management platforms such as EKS and Openshift.
- Experience in Linux/Unix/Windows system administration with a good understanding of infrastructure, network, and application security.
- Understanding of OWASP objectives and requirements.
- Configuration of firewalls, load balancers, and other network equipment.