A shortage of skilled IT professionals across the country has resulted in tough competition across five key technology skills in particular: Big Data, Cloud, IT Security, Mobile and Web Development.
Our latest Tech Cities Job Watch report takes a closer look at the increasingly important IT Security sector. Some of the key findings from the report include:
- Demand for permanent IT Security roles has increased by more than 50% since Q4 2015, as Cyber crime moves to the top of the C-Suite agenda
- Annual IT Security permanent salaries climbed by 4.99% across 10 cities, compared to 0.62% for contractor day rates
- IT Security professionals in London are still commanding the largest salaries by far (£62,596) – almost a fifth (19%) higher than any other region
- London continues to display the highest requirement for IT Security professionals, with around 80% of the UK’s contractor IT security roles advertised in London.
To download this free report, simply complete the form and click ‘Download Now’.
This infographic highlights the average permanent salary and contractor day rate in Q4 2016 for UK Tech Cities that are rapidly developing reputations as technology hubs including: London, Manchester, Leeds and Birmingham, as well as the ups and downs of hiring demand across the five disciplines.
- Tech Cities outside of London continue to become more attractive job seekers, with rising hiring demand in Q1 2016 narrowing the gap against London's dominance as the main Tech City
- Organisations are under pressure to offer more competitive salaries and benefit packages, in a bid to secure to talent ahead of their competitors
- Following recent high-profile cyber-attacks, and data leaks, and the new EU Data Protection Reform coming into place, many organisations are increasing investment in their data protection measures.
- Tech salaries outstrip UK wage growth as firms invest in permanent staff over contractors
- Percentage of permanent compared to contractor roles increases by 3% on previous year
- Importance of IT security reflected with largest pay rises (10% day rate, 3.55% salary)
- 35% of tech roles are now outside London – an increase of 7% on previous year