Wintel Engineer - 12 Months - Newcastle or Erskine - IT consulting organisation - SC cleared role
Our client, a leading IT consulting organisation, is currently looking for a Wintel Engineer to join their team based in Newcastle for a duration of 10 months.
due to the nature of the role, candidates must be eligible for SC Clearance or already possess it.
- To maintain operational performance of all Microsoft platform Servers at customer contracted availability through a combination of preventative maintenance and effective problem resolution.
- To set and implement policy for the organisation and control of access administration rights across all server running Microsoft operating systems.
- To participate in the change control process and review and approve/reject changes.
- To develop, implement and test recovery processes for all aspects of the Microsoft platform Service.
- To develop and maintain server related documentation and ensure that such documentation accurately the installed base of equipment.
- Management of server operating parameters.
- Maintenance of the optimum server environment through the centralised control of resource configurations.
- Establishment of baseline metrics to be monitored and liaison with Tools Support and Monitoring to implement the necessary polling requirements.
- Report information on exception conditions related to the availability and performance of server resources.
- Identify and optimise the performance of critical system resources through system tuning, and provide report information regarding the performance and capacity of the managed system.
- Recommend and install upgrades (as needed) of performance and capacity-related systems management agents.
- Perform long-term trending of the utilisation of key system resources and recommendations for replacement or upgrade of resources.
- To ensure that only approved server changes are applied to the infrastructure.
- Management of the configuration of system disk space to be used by the operating system, applications, and data storage. This includes the documentation and verification of proper naming standards and user permissions used for directories and files.
- Maintain all central infrastructure servers for correct configuration and operation including Active Directory, WINS, DHCP, DNS, Intranet\Internet and Exchange servers.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Wintel Server management
- At least 3 years Systems Administration experience in a distributed environment
- MCSE qualified, or working towards this in a similar environment
- ACTIVE SC Clearance required
- Ability to apply intermediate level of subject matter knowledge to solve a variety of common business issues
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Business, or related field or equivalent work experience
- May hold entry-level or intermediate-level certification(s) in work field
- Typically 2-5 years of relevant experience
- Need basic project management, communication and analytical skills
If this is a role that could be of interest to you please click below to apply and submit your application.