Technical Systems Administrator
£32,168 - £37,797 - Hendon
This is a great opportunity for a Technical Systems Administrator to come and provide second/third line support, development and maintenance of 2 mainframes, 50 physical servers and servers hosting 300 Virtual Machines. The role is also responsible for delivering the System Administration elements of the Red Hat Linux based SISII application.
In this role you will be responsible for the System Administration of a multi platform environment, implementing and maintaining the SAN storage, as well as maintaining and managing the PLS disaster recovery infrastructure. You will also be required to provide out of hours support which may include telephone support and attending on-site when required.
You will need to demonstrate within your application the following essential experience -
- Knowledge of System Administration in a multi host/platform environment, of both real and virtual systems (currently standing at 50 real and 300 VM's). This includes system hardening and the implementation and maintenance of backup schedules.
- Knowledge of LINUX (Red Hat), and knowledge of WINDOWS Server Editions (2003, 2008), UNIX SOLARIS (10), virtualization technologies (VMWARE, Zen, VM2000).
- Experience of patching/updating procedures and practices in a multi host environment (both real and virtual).
- Proven knowledge and experience of managing and maintaining a Disaster Recovery infrastructure and the scripting and operational experience of planned/unplanned cutover exercises.
- Knowledge of SAN storage in relation to real and virtual servers.
- ITIL Foundation certification or experience within an ITIL based environment
Selection process details
An initial sift of your CV will be conducted against the Essential Criteria. If your CV demonstrates experience of these essential criteria you will be contacted to arrange a telephone based screen. The telephone screen will further assess your experience against the Essential Criteria and will be carried out by Experis at a time to be agreed with you. If you successfully complete this stage of the process your application will be progressed to the next stage. The applicants with the best skills and experience will be invited to interview, where you will be required to provide evidence as to how you meet the above competencies and technical requirements. Interviews may include an additional assessment exercise or presentation exercise. Please note that your CV MUST demonstrate evidence of the Essential Criteria for you to be progressed to telephone screen and beyond.
For further details and candidate information, please visit the CS Jobs website (www civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk). Applications must be made to the CS Jobs website by 11:59pm on Tuesday 1st November. Any applications made after this time will not be considered. If you require support or would like to discuss how to potentially strengthen your application before applying, please contact Sally Leibovici at Experis who will be able to help you.