Senior Cisco Network Services Orchestrator System Engineer/Architect
The network fabric integration 'squad' is tasked with the development of software for the automatic instantiation of network connectivity services and various other forms of configurations on network devices and virtual systems on-prem and in the public cloud. Essentially, the software produced by the squad is used to translate abstract requirements for network connectivity into detailed configurations which are automatically applied to a global network of devices (largely Cisco routers and switches) and cloud-based services as needed. Development is primarily in the form of software applications using the 'micro-service' architecture style, and various other software artefacts such as infrastructure-as-code and CI/CD pipeline definitions (e.g. defined in YAML).
Scope of Work covered by this Resourcing Request
The Network Fabric Integration team are tasked with developing automation solutions for the management of a new global LAN and WAN network known as 'SD-NET'. SD-NET is positioned as a 'modern software-driven platform' which is able to provide connectivity services to the business units at a greatly reduced cost and with vastly improved time-scales over current manually-driven service provisioning. There are many potential facets with respect to automation of SD-NET and currently not all of them are known. However, over the next 12 months or so the following project work is expected to be delivered by the team:
- Development of 'Zero-Touch Provisioning' supporting software for the area of SD-Net known as 'Performance Fabric' (specifically the delivery of the initial configurations of devices in the SD-NET performance fabric network).
- Development of configuration automation for the area of SD-NET known as 'General Purpose Fabric' (specifically, the automated configuration of Cisco 'ACI').
- Development tasks in response to current business-as-usual demand for new services/features, and software maintenance of the mid-tier and network management (NSO) components of the application stack.
- Service package development
- NSO software upgrade testing and development
- Code quality reviews.
- Assistance to other developers.
- Supporting existing and new service packages.
- Detailed knowledge of Cisco networking.
- Testing of network configurations generated by NSO
- Keeping stakeholders up to date with progress.
- Troubleshooting and Bug Fixes
- Understanding of software development
- Keen problem-solving skills
- YANG model development
- XML device configuration template development
- Python coding.
- Test frameworks such as PyTest and the ability to write unit tests for NSO service packages.
- Knowledge of Cisco ACI a plus.
- Great communication skills.
- The ability to self-manage and work well in a team.
- Knowledge and experience working with source control systems such as GIT.
- Working with Jira and Confluence project management and collaboration tools.
- Working within a SCRUM team.