Safety Manager (Weapons Trials)
PERMANENT, FULL-TIME, UP TO £45K (DOE), SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Trials Safety Manager (TSM) to join a leading global Defence Technology & Security organisation based in Southend-On-Sea, within their Engineering division.
Provision of independent advice on the safety aspects of all weapons trials related to hazardous activities, throughout all stages of the project life cycle, with the aim of developing confidence in our operations and effectively managing risks in the business. Although the role is primarily based in Southend-On-Sea, the successful candidate will be expected to gain experience of, and undertake TSM duties at other Ranges and facilities.
- To discharge the role of Trials Safety Manager (TSM) as referenced in JSP 403 and to ensure trial safety is managed in accordance with the Health & Safety at Work Act.
- To ensure and certify that the appropriate degree of technical rigour and diligence is applied to the generation of Trial Specifications/Trials Instructions, Trial Risk Assessments and Environmental Risk Assessment, for each trial activity.
- To certificate trials activities by signing the Trials Certificate.
- To act as the Range Safety Officer (JSP 403) and to inspect all Ranges on a regular basis to confirm that they remain fit for use and to record/report all findings.
- To assess the accuracy of weapon danger areas i.a.w. JSP 403 and Design Authorities' submissions and assess the suitability of design of target arenas, catcher butts, gun emplacements and other structures that may contain potential hazards.
- To provide an oversight of Range Operations and to ensure that the procedures, equipment and staffing remain appropriate and effective; to inform the Head of Site, Project Manager, and/or the Head of Trial Safety as appropriate.
- To investigate and record Range incidents and to provide recommendations and/or changes in procedures as appropriate.
- To ensure that planned trials activities comply with the correct licences and Range Safety Case; and/or to provide additional safety assessments to maintain/supplement the Range Safety Case when appropriate.
- To report any significant failings in Range safety practice to the Head of Site, and the MoD through the Resident Project Officer.
- To support the Head of Trials Safety in the wider aspects of developing/maintaining a consolidated and aligned safety community across the Ranges.
- Base knowledge in science or engineering is essential (this can range from Physics, Electronics, electrical, chemistry, civil engineering etc.)
- Analytical and quantitative skills
- Lead by example in terms of safety
- Demonstrable experience of leading a scientific team
- Senior or Principal Engineer in mechanical or civil engineering
- Basic background in science or engineering essential
- Achieved or working towards Chartered status
Whether you're a suitably qualified and experienced TSM or have suitable base technical qualifications and experience, we want to hear from you. We are willing to invest in the right person and put you on our 'Development Roadmap' (starting salary dependant on experience and level of investment).
The successful candidate will be subject to Ministry of Defence security clearance prior to starting in their new role.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this opportunity and feel that you meet the requirements, apply online today to be considered for an interview!