Role: PL/SQL Developer
Duration: 3-6 months
Start Date: ASAP
Sky is Europe's leading entertainment company and serves over 22 million customers across five countries. Our business in the UK and Ireland has come a long way since starting out as a satellite broadcaster in 1989 and we're not stopping there. We're home to award-winning teams for everything from Customer Service to Marketing, from Technology to Finance, meaning there's plenty of opportunity for you, no matter what your career goals.
At Sky, technology isn't just a support function - it's key to keeping our 10+ million customers happy and to delivering life-changing innovations like Sky+, HD, interactive betting and mobile TV. Sky's Technology department is key to staying ahead in a competitive market.
Due to our energetic plans, we're currently looking for an experienced Database Developer to join this successful team and add real value. The main purpose of your role will be to provide Oracle database expertise to support the CRM application/service components.
Within the Database Development team we cater for and own multiple Oracle database instances encompassing a range of usage profiles such as online/web transactions, call-centre and batch. Databases range in size from small reference data instances to multi-billion record Order Management and Customer Contact History. Furthermore, a variety of Oracle tools/technologies are employed across the estate E.g. Apex, AQ, Oracle Messaging Gateway (to MQ), GoldenGate Replication, TDE, VPD and Partitioning to name just some.
Key tasks you will perform:
· gathering data requirements and formulation into database deliverables
· delivering high quality database design/development components to support new functionality
· you will be expected to participate in the implementation and improvement of database team procedures and standards
· support and contribute to database build/release lifecycle processes
· you will offer SQL review/tuning expertise to non-database development teams
We would love you to have:
· Experience of CRM & Billing applications, and within a telecoms environment would be advantageous
· Experience of working in an enterprise wide SOA architecture would be preferred
· IT experience in an enterprise scale environment
· A strong working knowledge of SQL, PL/SQL and the Oracle RDBMS
· Ideally have exposure and working with multiple technologies - databases, middleware, COTS packages and Java
· Experience of using ER/Studio data modelling tool or similar data modelling tool
· Good analytical skills
· Oracle RDBMS Performance Tuning techniques
· Knowledge of Version Management software
· A working knowledge of Unix scripting
· Familiarity with the Agile Methodology would also be an advantage
· Good knowledge of a Software Development Lifecycle
· Strong communication skills
This is an excellent opportunity to join the company on key business programmes ensuring Sky's database platform leads the evolution of Sky's technology landscape - delivering the present, creating the future.
It's our people that make Sky the UK and Ireland's leading entertainment company. That's why we work hard to be an inclusive employer, so everyone at Sky can be their best. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If you are successful in your application for this role, your appointment will be subject to receiving a positive outcome from your Criminal Record Check.
Believe in better