Legal Advisor - Farnborough
The requirement is for a lawyer to provide legal advice and support to the Organisation's Group Procurement function and other Group Functions and to the Air & Space Business, with emphasis on significant insourcing, outsourcing and bids.
The Organisation's Procurement supported activity comprises direct subcontracting for bids and corporate campaigns for our core customer-facing businesses and indirect procurement of corporate services, IS, FM, research and product category activities.
The other Group functions supported by the role comprise the Organisation's Commercial Property, Facilities Management and IS. The role interfaces significantly with both the customer-facing parts of our business and also internal support functions, particularly HR.
The Air & Space Business de-risks complex aerospace programmes by testing systems and equipment, evaluating risks and assuring safety. The supported activity includes a growing international dimension as the business exploits growth in international markets. The role interfaces significantly into other company business areas - Cyber Information & Training; Maritime, Land & Weapons; International Business, Optasense & our North America business.
Key requirements of the role:
* Leading the provision of legal support into complex bids and contacts covering a wide range of supplier-related commercial contracts (e.g. NDAs, MOUs/ teaming agreements, terms & conditions of purchase, subcontracts/supply agreements for a range of goods and services, complex framework agreements and/or consortium agreements and customer prime contract flow-downs);
* Managing and resolving contractual disputes with supply chain and litigation to successful outcomes;
* Advising on contractual & regulatory compliance issues with a special emphasis on TUPE and competition compliance, protection of intellectual property rights, protection of confidential information;
* Supporting Commercial Property team on effective management of landlord and tenant disputes, review of draft leases and/or disposals, advising on statutory and regulatory landlord/tenant compliance issues and ensuring effective use of external panel firms on more complex property matters;
* Providing advice to sectors and functions on compliance with applicable laws and regulations, with emphasis on the Bribery Act, Modern Slavery Act & Sanctions compliance and other applicable anti-corruption laws and working with sector legal advisers/business teams to help ensure understanding of and compliance with company policies and applicable laws and regulations;
* Developing and delivering training to employees and management on areas falling within general remit;
* Managing legal work and instructions undertaken by outside counsel and external partner law firms.
Essential Education, Qualifications & Training
* UK or Commonwealth qualified lawyer with circa two to five years post-qualification experience. (Years of qualification are provided as guidance to the relative experience anticipated as needed to meet the requirements of this role, and are not intended to preclude any applicants on the basis of their age).
* UK or Commonwealth qualified Solicitor or Barrister or ILEX or equivalent qualification.
* Experience of dealing with a range of outsourcing/insourcing including public sector contracting.
* Excellent influencing and negotiating skills.
Essential Personal Qualities and Behavioural
* An ability to understand, and work effectively, in a complex organisation with many different work streams.
* Public sector contracting experience
* Willingness to travel internationally