Lead Design Engineer (Civils) / Senior Design Engineer - Chartered Engineer (CEng), AutoCAD, TEDDS, Pframe / Superstress
An experienced Lead Design Engineer is required to join a company who are one of the UK's leading providers of engineering services. The role is based at one of their sites in Birmingham; based within their Rail Division.
The Lead Design Engineer will lead and direct allocated design resources in the delivery of conceptual and detailed civils design. They will be required to undertake the production of plans/drawings/documentation, planning and organising activities and resources to meet programme deadlines.
Principal Accountabilities and Main Tasks:
- Carry out designs and checks for Engineering schemes ensuring full compliance with current British and European Standards, Codes of Practice and Railway Group Standards and Procedures as required.
- Assist with directing the Design team in the completion of allocated works in accordance with programme timescales.
- Allocate roles, responsibilities and production activities within the design team.
- Monitor progress of works within the team, advising the Design Manager at agreed periodicities, and agreeing alterations to programmes of work or working patterns as required.
- Responsible for the design/checking of schemes and location plans for new work and alterations to existing work.
- Assist with design/checking and production of estimates / target prices and programmes of work for proposed work.
- Deal with internal and client technical queries and requests.
- Address and implement quality procedures to ensure that the Division can achieve and maintain ISO9002 registration and to facilitate the successful completion of projects.
- Perform the duties of responsible design engineer for projects as required by CDM regulations.
- Prepare and deliver briefings to staff on technical, procedural and Handbook publications, including participation in relevant training as required.
- Forecast manpower requirements for all design work to enable allocation of resources to be made.
- Maintain an effective interface with other production functions to ensure a uniformity of purpose and common targets within Babcock.
- Assist in staff welfare/development/training.
- Act in the role of design mentor as required.
- Provide design costings as required.
- Monitor design errors and make recommendations to stop reoccurrence.
- Production of feasibility reports and cost estimates for proposed design works.
- Competent in design production techniques and skills for wide variety of Engineering schemes.
- Ensure all work is produced in line with the appropriate technical / standards / specifications / procedures.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Chartered engineer or working towards
- Minimum of 5 years design experience.
Business and Personal Competencies:
- Leadership and motivational skills.
- Computer literate and experienced in design software; knowledge of AutoCAD, TEDDS, Pframe / Superstress essential and knowledge of Slope W and Repute desirable.
- Good presentation, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Full Driving licence or willing to learn.
- May be required to work away from home.
My client looks to offer a competitive salary plus substantial company benefits.
Suitable candidates should submit their CV in the first instance