One of the UK's Leading Partners in Science and Technology Research is looking for a Junior Database Administrator to come and join their dedicated IT Database Team. They are a global organisation that is predominantly based in Europe, North America and Australia, but are going into emerging markets in Africa and South East Asia.
The successful candidate will to help monitor and maintain the internal IT Database Estate. Performing daily checks on the database, backing up to meet agreed recovery point objectives.
The general accountabilities of the role will include, but not be limited to:
- Perform daily checks of the database estate utilising available monitoring tools in order to highlight and remedy any business or user impacting issues
- Ensure all databases are backed up to meet an agreed recovery point objective and sufficiently tested to meet an agreed recovery time objective
- Ensure the day to day operation, performance and integrity of the SQL Server database estate.
- Resolve user issues in a timely and professional manner within the service desk system
- Troubleshoot service outages if they occur and escalate issues to senior team members where necessary to avoid recurrence
- Deploy database change scripts as provided by third party vendors and in-house developers under an agreed change management process
- Producing and maintaining operational documentation and ensure adherence to relevant internal and industry standards
- Ensure the SQL Server estate is patched to an agreed level in order to minimise operational risk
- Manage the installation, configuration and optimisation of new installations of SQL Server within the SQL estate
Knowledge, skills and Personal Qualities Required
- Microsoft SQL Server (Any version)
- Desirable Knowledge
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 / 2012 / 2014
- Microsoft Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 R2
- Fail over Clustering
- Database Mirroring & Transaction Log-shipping
- NetApp SnapManager for SQL
- Professional in dress, manner and communication
- Flexible approach to working outside core hours in order to deal with operational requirements or to meet project deadlines (including evenings and weekends)
- Able to prioritise tasks effectively and escalate where necessary
- Strong analytical skills and problem solving abilities
- Demonstrates a willingness to learn through self-taught and course driven avenues
Location and Clearance
The position is based in Farnborough and requires SC clearance so candidates must have worked/lived in the UK for the last 5 years in order to meet this requirement.
For more information about the role, or to determine if you are eligible for SC Clearance please contact Mark Maxwell on 01619243659.