Editorial Graduate to be based in London on an initial 9 Month contract. Experienced maintaining the throughput, quality and coverage of content generated by the Cases Department for provision to UKI Core Legal products and services. Good editorial background would be an advantage.
Job Title - Editorial Graduate
Location - London
Rate - £ 110 per day
Duration - 9 Months initial
Role Purpose/ Summary:
Working as part of a cross-site team, the role is responsible for maintaining the throughput, quality and coverage of content generated by the Cases Department for provision to UKI Core Legal products and services, including Lawtel and WestlawUK. The remit includes sourcing and monitoring receipt of court documents, applying data standards to case law, copyediting and allocation of work to Cases editors in order to meet service requirements and customer needs.
Major Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Maintain the Pending Actions database, adding new acknowledgment data, checking daily to keep the records up-to-date.
- Write summaries of statements of case and other court documents as required.
- Regular attendance at court to search new acknowledgments, source Pending Actions documents and collect judgments for publication.
- Maintain an excellent level of customer service - taking proactive ownership for answering customer and colleague queries fully, quickly and effectively.
- Build and maintain strong links with court, transcription contacts and customers.
- Create and manage case records within the various case databases.
- Copyedit case information, ensuring correct use of house style, grammar and syntax across all case records.
- Complete regular quality control tasks relating to case data.
- Ensure the timely publication of current awareness case information.
- Note and observe reporting restrictions and anonymity of case content.
- Provide alerts to forthcoming appeals as per product requirements.
- Monitor and record the receipt and publication of official court transcripts to specified deadlines.
- Source and monitor receipt and publication of relevant data sources, e.g. cause list and transcripts, to ensure product requirements are fully met, including identifying and sourcing missing data.
- Summarise decisions according to house style, taxonomy and specified deadlines.
- Manage and action customer requests for transcripts.
- Purchase judgments within budget parameters and process transcriber invoices.
- Follow up customer requests for Pending Actions with court departments, judges and legal practitioners.
- Contact judges' clerks on reporting issues and to obtain handed downs.
- Provide cover, feedback and training for team and UKI colleagues as needed, including cross-site support of Production and Tracking tasks as required,
- Be fully cross-trained and skilled in all Production/Tracking tasks in order to provide comprehensive support to colleagues during periods of peak workload, absence and holiday as requested.
- Display a good knowledge of UKI Legal products, processes, systems and their different requirements.
- Maintain procedure notes for all areas of work.
- Resolve issues at root cause and make recommendations for process improvement.
- Identify and resolve publication issues as they arise, ensuring queries are fully investigated.
- Gather and collate information/produce reports as required.
- Maintain the required level of self-management and prioritisation of workload.
Mandatory Skills and Experience:
- Computer literate and able to understand new technical processes quickly.
- Excellent written communication, grammar and general editorial skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Negotiation skills and ability to influence
- Ability to self-motivate, work autonomously and as part of a cross-site team to meet tight deadlines.
- Understanding of customer requirements and the ability to balance those requirements with the needs of the business.
- Understanding of the relationship dynamic between quality and what the market is willing to pay for.
- Ability to complete work accurately and to tight deadlines
- Good time management and organisation skills
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Experience of editorial copy editing.
- Experience within a legal environment and a background knowledge of the UK court system.
Education/ Certifications Required:
- Educated to degree level or able to demonstrate an equivalent level of relevant experience.
Candidates should submit CVs in the first instance. Mike Tripp 0161 924 3631