Reporting to: Site Electrical Engineer
Duties And Responsibilities:
· Design, develop, install and test PLC and control software projects.
· Develop and manage GAMP documentation e.g. URS, FDS, FAT, SAT etc...
· Participate and in some cases lead projects, provide technical support and make informed decisionson hardware and architecture selection.
· Monitor and analyse opportunities for the development of new or improved tools for process improvement activities.
· Work with OEM system suppliers to ensure Merck Millipore requirements are met.
· Have a keen ability to fault find complex automation equipment.
· Support production and maintenance personnel in relation to troubleshooting and fault finding.
· Prioritise multiple tasks while working to tight schedules.
· Develop and manage the site automation/controls network infrastructure and make improvements to ensure it is reliable and robust for the present needs and for the sites long term future.
· Develop a site wide master automation/controls plan and cost estimates so that capital can be set aside for this work over the next 3 - 5 years.
· Coach instrument technicians and junior control engineers as required and support problem solving and continuous improvement efforts across all areas of the sites.
· Carry out justification for capital projects for the site and lead all elements of the project life cycle stages.
· Manage all Requisitions and financial needs to ensure site discretionary budgets and capital budgets are met.
· Give input to the budgeting process for controls \ automation needs to allow the correct finance to be put in place for execution.
· Ensure project design and installations meet the requirement of EU directives such as ATEX and Machinery Directive and CE compliance.
· Ensure Electrical Control Panels are built to standard and adhere to Safety of Machinery -EN60204-1.
· Develop critical spares list for site controls and automation hardware & ensure that critical spares are in stock or are readily available at all times. Ensure that an effective programme is then maintained.
· Investigate EHS incidents, lead RCAs and complete EHS actions as appropriate.
· Provide input into, and assist in the completion of, PEX (Process Excellence) projects so as to improve automation, reduce lead-time and reduce EHS risks across the sites.
· Support Process Engineering in the preparation of inputs into capital & expense budgets related to the all Manufacturing Operations.
· Perform all tasks with due recognition of safety, environment, GMP & plant procedures.
· Support production teams in attaining all targets set out in the schedule
· Placement of PO's for equipment and spares is within the job role as is other administration work required to carry out your functional work.
Education and Experience:
· BEng degree in electrical \ automation engineering or equivalent, with particular emphasis in the automation discipline
· Project management experience and qualification is desirable.
· Minimum of 5 years + industry experience in an FDA or GMP environment as an automation \controls engineer.
· Excellent problem solving and analytical ability.
· Previous experience within an ATEX environment an advantage.
· Ability to work as part of a team.
· Experienced with SCADA systems - Archestra Wonderware & Intouch.
· Experienced with the RsLogics Rockwell package and Rockwell controllers: PLC-5, SLC-500, ControlLogix, CompactLogix, MicroLogix.
· Experienced with Siemens S7 Controllers.
· In depth knowledge of automation network protocols including EtherNet IP, DeviceNet, ControlNet, Modbus and Profibus.
· Knowledge of control systems integration with plant MES (Manufacturing Execution System).
· Be familiar with planned preventative maintenance approaches.
· Excellent awareness and experience in relation to Quality and Health, Environment and Safety.
· In depth knowledge of ATEX directives, ETCI wiring regulations, IEC and EN standards.
· Management of projects through their full life-cycle.
· CE marking and declaration of conformity reviews and approvals.
· Instrumentation experience is preferable.
· Exposure to Vision Systems and Motion Control.
For more information on this role please contact Darragh on 01-6455250 or