A Network Architect is required to join a leading Financial Services organisation that is at the forefront of payment software solutions to be the technical design authority for all network projects within the organisation.
The Network Architect will participate in the full development lifecycle from obtaining/validating requirements, through High Level Design, Detailed Design, estimation, purchasing, proof of concept, build, testing, documentation and hand over to the live operations team.
They key accountabilities of the Network Architect will include but not be limited to:
- Deliver network solutions on time, on budget and to agreed specification. Solutions will vary in size and complexity, with several projects running concurrently.
- Define the technical, functional and non-functional requirements for all network components and connectivity.
- Ensure that all networks have the appropriate management and operational tools and procedures required for their successful operation
- Participate in the development of all network architectures to support the delivery of IT projects
- Work with business, joint venture and customer representative stakeholders to design and deliver new solutions, incorporating these into the existing network architecture as required. Interpret development and architecture requirements to create the required logical and physical designs.
- Ensure existing networks are scalable and support current and future peak processing/transfer requirements and ensure SLAs are met.
- Provide product development with technical consultancy in order to bring new services to market.
- Ensure Infrastructure & Platforms are involved with all opportunities requiring connectivity by maintaining relationships with key stakeholders.
- Participate in creation of High Level Design, lead the development of Detailed Design. Work with Project Managers to agree project plans - tasks, deliverables, estimates and timescales.
- Act as the Technical network representative at project meetings and report back new requirements to the Infrastructure Manager. Attend external technical forums and report back to the Infrastructure Manager on new technologies and make recommendations.
- Ensure all designs meet functional and non-functional requirements in a cost effective manner, including security and audit control requirements. Ensure all operational procedures are produced, maintained, fit for purpose and adhered to.
- Produce quality technical documentation.
- Work with 3 party suppliers to meet current and future requirements.
- Design and support all test and development environments, ensuring they adhere to the same ethos as applied to the live networks.
The Network Architect will need to be CCDA or CCNA and a proven Cisco expert in a demanding design role. Hands-on experience of Cisco hardware - switches L2/L3, routers, firewalls etc is essential along with broad networking experience including protocol knowledge, especially the TCP/IP stack.
Interested applicants will be articulate, able to express ideas clearly and communicate ably at all levels, both written and aural. The ability to work flexibly, occasional travel, some overtime (but production on-call is not required).
It is desirable for candidate to - hold a valid CCNP, have hands on experience of land balancers, content switches, SSL appliances, network management systems (eg HP Openview), and possess and understanding of Change Control, ITIL and PRINCE2 methodologies. A familiarity with UNIX (Solaris) and/or Linux, Wintel/Microsoft, storage
Systems would be very advantageous.
- Industry recognised network qualifications i.e. Cisco CCNP/DP and above